Chapter 78: Human Trafficking, Rather Greedy

Author's Note:
Kekkei Genkai, literally meaning Bloodline Limit, is a DNA anomaly that allows the wielder to use unique techniques; dojutsu such as Byakugan and Sharingan are among these
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

On an otherwise scorching summer night, a cool breeze blew over the treetops, and the birds on trees chirped. In the villages outside the Fire Capital, just a few houses were still lit.

Stray cats were sprawled in the corners of the dimly lit street. Sudden heavy footsteps startled them and they dashed into the darkness.

A large-framed man carrying a bag poked his head out stealthily. He looked left and right and then quickly crossed the street to enter an alley. He walked until he reached a house with a courtyard located at the edge of the village and entered it.

Creak

The man opened the door of a dimly lit basement and untied the bag. Inside it was a young, barely three-year-old boy, who was tied up. Seeing the light again, the boy struggled instinctively with all his might.

The man untied the rope that bound him and picked up a leather-thonged whip. When the young boy saw this, his face was filled with horror, and he desperately wailed. The man showed a hideous grin and swung the whip, ruthlessly hitting the little boy.

The boy rolled on the ground in pain, screaming. After beating him for a while, the man pointed the whip at him and ferociously warned, "If you don't shut up, I'll continue to beat you until you die."

The boy responded to the threat and firmly bit his lip, not letting any sound come out. The man nodded with satisfaction, then looked at other lifeless children hiding in the corner, his eyes flashing with admonition.

He then opened the basement door and walked out.

Bang!

The basement plunged into darkness again. The young boy squirmed over to a wall and tightly hugged his knees. Only like this, he could feel the slightest sense of security.

The basement was eerily silent... only the boy sobbed in a low voice, "Mama..."

Bang!

The basement door was kicked open again. The boy was shocked and trembled, and didn't dare make another sound. The man raised the whip with a hideous smile and glared at him.

"Humph!"

The basement door was shut again. The boy finally understood why the other children inside were silent. He too soundlessly curled up into a ball.

Above the basement, a group of burly men was seated at a round table that was full of banknotes. Among them was a person in ninja clothes, with a ninja bag around his waist. It was obvious he was this set-up's leader. He turned to the man that just came out of the basement and asked, "Where did you get the goods this time?"

The man's earlier ferociousness disappeared, and a flattering smile appeared on his face, "It's the best quality goods from the Land of Water, related to the Yuki clan in some way."

The leader's eyes lit up as he whistled, "Not bad... if he awakens the Yuki clan's Kekkei Genkai, he'll be more valuable."

The man hadn't expected the boss to have some expectation despite his b******* being so unrealistic. He coughed awkwardly and explained, "How can he awaken it? His family has been civilian for quite a few generations."