Liar [chapter 4]

Peter had a panicked look on his face. He'd promised y/n he would use the rest of the time after school for sleeping and not go patrolling in exchange for homework answers. So one can imagine the predicament he got in when facing villains and seeing the back of y/n's head in a nearby crowd. He was absolutely freaking out.

On one hand, he needed to fight crime. And on the other, he needed to keep his promises to y/n. He'd never broken them before, so why start now?

At any moment, she could turn her head to see what the commotion was about, and he'd be screwed. She'd never trust him again if she saw he was going against a promise! ...No, he might still have some hope. It wasn't a pinky promise. She'd probably never even breathe the same air as him again if he broke a pinky promise.

He started to be quicker with his moves. Peter needed to get out of there quick, so his comments came to a stop too. He made sure he'd securely tied the bad guys to a nearby car before he disappeared on top of a roof.

"Please don't have recordings, please don't have recordings, please don't have recordings," Peter mumbled to himself over and over again. He walked atop some roof buildings, jumping up or down depending on where the ledge of the next building was. "She's gonna kill me if she sees what happened—"

Then, as if the world was saying 'fuck you', one of the big screens started playing a recap of what just happened. Of course it had to happen. His luck wasn't bad enough when he merely spotted her even if she hadn't seen him. The universe just had to make sure she knew he lied.

"Are you kidding me?!" his eyes widened at the screen's display. He grasped at his mask where his hair was hidden underneath. "It didn't even happen five minutes ago!"

His stomach dropped when he felt his phone vibrate in one of the pockets of his suit. The original design didn't have pockets, but with y/n's help, he'd managed to make some pretty much invisible slots. Pulling the small device out of his pocket, he grimaced when he read the name.

'Sunshine🌥'

"Oh, fuck," he started cursing. He wasn't going to decline the call— of course he wasn't going to decline the call. This might've been the first time she'd ever called him without needing a question answered for one of their classes. "Oh, shit."

He took in a deep breath and let out a shaky exhale before accepting. Putting the phone to his ear, he forced a sleepiness to his voice. Maybe, just maybe, he could pretend like somebody else was pretending to be him. So he yawned, "Yeah, l/n? Is something wrong?"

"Drop the act," she hissed.

Peter pressed his lips into a thin line, "What act?"

"There you go," she encouraged. Peter could hear a bunch of voices, though they were getting fainter as she seemed to be getting further away from the crowd. "You're no longer faking the sleep into your voice. Now stop acting like your ass wasn't just on the screen. I know you saw it."

"Fuck," whatever cover he might've had was now completely blown.

"That's what I thought," she monotoned. "Now, I'm going to give you one chance to redeem yourself. One chance, and one chance only. Understood?" She continued when she heard a squeak of a 'yes' come from the other end of the line, "You're going to go home. Then you're going to go to sleep. And I'm going to FaceTime your aunt in an hour and have her check to make sure you're in bed."

"Yes ma'am," Peter's voice was multiple octaves higher than his normal one. He'd faced numerous villains, but none could compare to an y/n when she was made mad. "Have a nice night, l/n."

She hummed, "You better not lie again." And then she hung up.

Peter let out a sigh of relief at the lack of sound coming from his phone. He'd gotten let off easy today. This would probably be the last time he would ever try to lie to her. The universe had made it quite obvious that, no matter how hard he tried to hide it, y/n would always find out if he wasn't telling the truth. Wether it be about his whereabouts or how long he stayed up the night prior. She'd always find out one way or another.