Love Life [chapter 25]

"Hey," a sharp whisper was the first thing Cairo registered when he first woke up. That was soon followed by the involuntarily movement of his left side as well as the hand causing this disruption. "Cairo, wake up."

He groaned, turning away from the voice and dragging his covers over his head in a weak attempt to block her out. "Go away. It's the weekend."

"Yeah..." she mumbled. Her hands slowly made their way to the edge of the covers. She then proceeded to yank them off her brother in one swift motion, "But it's our day today!"

Cairo groaned, pulling his hands over his face to blockout the light from their ceiling. Yeah, it was so early on that day, the sun hadn't even risen yet. His face scrunched up in that cutely intimidating way both l/n siblings seemed to do when something mildly distasteful happened to them. Instead of pushing her away like his first instinct was to, he let his brain soak in the voice and the request it was making.

"Our day?" Cairo mumbled groggily in his hoarse morning voice. He sat up in his bed, yawning with his hair in a tangled mess. One hand reached under his shirt to lazily scratch at his stomach as he slowly blinked his eyes open. But then the words he'd just murmured hit him, "Oh, shit! It's our day!"

The first thing he saw in the morning was, for the first time since their parents had decided they wanted to move in, the beaming face of his younger sister. With hands placed on her hips, she nodded her head and stepped back so she was standing in the center of their bedroom.

"And you've woken up late," said she.

"Which means I have to pay for everything today..." Cairo sighed. He was a little upset about it, but at the same time, he couldn't help the wide smile that had spread across his face from his sister's excitement. "You took a shower last night, so I guess I'll take mine while you get dressed."

He'd already started getting up out of bed, stretching his tense muscles to accommodate for the lack of movement they'd had while he slept. Cairo started his way over to their closet, "Wear something comfortable please. I don't want have to piggy back you around the city again because you're feet start hurting or something."

"No promises," she managed between pursed lips.

Cairo rolled his eyes. He already knew she was going to do the exact opposite of what he just said. But who could be mad at someone with such childish giddiness such as the very thing she was displaying?

About twenty minutes later, the two sat in their room packing their bags for the day. They'd be out in the city all day, so they had to pack a few basic things. Like water, Cairo's credit card, and a portable charger. Then they slung their personal items over their shoulder and headed out to the living room where they were met with the sight of their parents; one sleeping on the floor and the other on the couch.

She couldn't tell which was which, but she didn't really care. In her opinion, neither really deserved the opportunity to even sleep on their floor.

They both slipped on their shoes. Cairo grabbed his keys from the hook beside the door. Waiting patiently for his younger sister to stand back up after she finished tying her shoes, Cairo started unlocking an opening the door.

Both siblings silently slipped out after Cairo scribbled out a note for their parents saying they weren't going to be home at all that day. Cairo locked the door, and off they went down the hallway. Then down a few blocks to the subway entrance nearest to their apartment.

As they waited on the platform for the train to come, Cairo stretched his arms above his head. After yawning again, he glanced over to his sister, "So, where to first? My campus, Time Square, Statue of Liberty— what?"