Lettuce Celebrate [chapter 13]

"Hi, hello!" May opened the door and greeted the two siblings standing outside. She moved to the side and beckoned the two to come in with welcoming arms and a kindhearted smile. "I was just about to start on dinner now."

Cairo gave a smile that mirrored May's. He and his younger sister stepped into the Parker residence, taking off their shoes and leaving them by the front door. May led them through the house and to the kitchen. The Parkers kitchen, dining area, and living room were all open and connected; much like the l/ns apartment.

Peter sat with his back to them as they entered the room. He turned his head around when he heard footsteps coming closer. He didn't really care much at first, but he had to do a double take when the faces registered in his mind. A grin slowly spread across his face when he and his "bestie" made eye contact. He held up a hand and waved over the couch, "Oh, hi, l/n."

"Hi," Cairo waved back, seeing exactly who Peter was looking at. He didn't like the way he seemed so happy by her simply being present. Cairo was offering a warming smile, but his eyes held nothing but coldness. An open threat; daring Peter to try anything on his younger sister who'd he'd spent his whole life protecting.

Maybe not in the physical sense like Spider-man, A.K.A Peter, did, but in the mental one.

But with that one look, and the passive aggressive greeting, Peter was able to come to a realization. Over the years he'd gotten to know them— from when Cairo would come over and trade funny stories with his aunt; to when he teased his best friend since preschool over the smallest of things— he'd never once been in a room with both of the siblings at the same time.

For years, Peter Parker had been in love with y/n l/n. For years, Peter had cracked several jokes with Cairo. For the first time, Peter was seeing the protective side of Cairo, and Cairo was seeing the pining side of Peter.

Cairo knew he had it in him. All teenage boys did. Well, except maybe Cairo himself. He was too busy taking care of someone he shouldn't have been and balancing his own life to take note of any girls. And any possible relationships he could've had were all turned down because he didn't want to know what would happen if another girl became one of his priorities.

It would've been messy if he strayed away from the path he'd worked so hard to pave. So hard to keep clean for his sister to able to walk down without nearly as much struggle as he did when he first discovered it.

"Well," May clapped her hand together once. Just once. "I'm gonna go start on dinner. You lot go ahead and get comfortable in the time being. Sound good?" She looked in between Cairo and y/n for approval, and left when she got nods from the set of siblings.

Cairo and y/n sat down on the couch, and Peter stiffened when he felt the spot next to him become occupied with the warmth of Cairo's body. Cairo offered another smile; this time it was a bone-chilling kind, "So, Peter... how are you? It's been awhile since we've last seen each other, hasn't it? How's school?"

"Um..." Peter tried to search for some words. It felt like he was talking to Cairo for the first time again. One thing he hated about himself was the fact he didn't have the ability to so flawlessly talk to someone he barely knew. So Peter gulped, "We— I, uh... It's good. I'm good. Nothing out of the ordinary. No secret identities, or crime fighting, or being hunted down by drug lords!"

Cairo blinked, giving a concerned look, "Are you okay?"

"Me?" Peter's voice had gotten far too high pitched to sound like it was his own. "Yeah! I'm fine. Totally fine. The finest I've ever been." He was going to absolutely die by the time dinner was over.

"Why are we here anyways?" the girl chose to speak for the first time since they'd gotten there. She stared at the only two guys in her life with bored expressions.