Envy [chapter 29]

update because i was finally able to write something. now, excuse me while i once again take a month to conjure up something... slightly decent.

"For this lab, I'll need everyone to get into same sex pairings," their science teacher announced. She gave a sigh of exhaustion, "That's a simple task, so I don't think I need to ask. But just in case, are there any questions?"

One of Flash's friends raised their hand with a smirk that oozed of trouble, "What if I'm a they?"

Flash stared at his friend like he was the dumbest person in the world. He rolled his eyes, chucking a crumbled piece of paper as hard as he could at said friend's head, "You're such a dumb ass. Gender and pronouns aren't the same thing." He gave a shake of his head, "Since you're dumb enough to ask a question like that, why don't I put it in simpler terms for you. People with a dick need to be in a pair with another person with a dick, and the same for a person with a vagina."

A few chuckles erupted around the room at Flash's explanation.

Peter and y/n watched as Flash's friend flushed in embarrassment. He hadn't expected such a humiliating response. In fact, he was expecting for people to react the same way they did to Flash. Alas, he was no Flash. It was pretty much impossible to be as liked as Flash was by the rest of his peers. The only two who could compete were the same people who currently sat together at a lab station, looking as bored as ever.

"Thank you for attempting to help out a peer," the teacher started. "But next time, let's keep the explanation a little more school appropriate, Thompson." They stayed silent for a moment, closing their eyes. "If that's all, I'll give you all five minutes to find partners."

The class dispersed, everyone leaving to go find someone they were to work with. Naturally, Flash drifted his way over to the duo who sat still. He slid up onto the flat surface of their lab station. He and Peter were partners. Flash didn't even need to ask, and Peter didn't even have to agree. They just knew.

They fit like that naturally. Now, it just left one question. Who the hell was y/n going to partner up with?

Liz saw an opportunity. She had always wondered what Peter and his lab partner were. They were always at school together, and she'd even seen them together a few times while she was out with her family. So, Liz had decided she would partner with the girl. And in doing said thing, she would ask questions that would reveal what the girl was to the guy she had a minor crush on.

"Can I be your partner?" Liz asked.

Flash snorted. Peter started choking on the water he was downing from the bottle he stole off his damsel right before class. Y/n sat with her back facing Liz, staring ahead of her with a blank look. Liz had some real courage for approaching their group.

Which the trio had very obviously expressed their dislike for her.

"She would love that," Flash grinned at his station partner. When he left their station, Liz was still sitting there, talking with some of her other friends who he'd assumed she would partner with. He didn't even notice her following him over there. "Wouldn't you, Brainy?"

Brainy. That was Flash's nickname for her ever since they were in fourth grade. It was a way to tease her as well as slightly compliment her for being notably the smartest person in their grade. That was before he found out what catcalling was. When they were all still very innocent and oblivious to the world.

Flash also had given Peter a nickname. Pinky. Yeah, he sort of stole that from that one cartoon. His nickname for the girl was really the reason it inspired him.

Brainy— I mean the girl sent Flash a subtle glare, "I don't mind." It was simply her being nice. Cairo had taught her to always be polite to those who she barely knew. Even if it meant faking it.