Fire Alarm [chapter 9]

He left during the second hour of the school day, and he came back in the fifth. So, Peter Parker had managed to skip math, which he hated the teacher so he was okay with it, and history. But he actually like his history teacher, so it did sadden him a little that he wasn't going to make the class that day. And if he did, he would just be lectured about punctuality.

He came in closer towards the end of the history hour, and by then it would be pointless to go in. So he hid out in the bathroom (and changed out of his suit since he hadn't done that) for the rest of that period until the bell rung.

Peter still managed to be late to his next class after wrestling off his suit.

"Sorry I'm late," Peter panted. His hair was a disheveled mess, and his clothes were all ruffled up.

Most would think he got mugged or something, but a certain girl new that wasn't the case. She'd seen it in class. Sure, she wasn't supposed to be using her phone, but they worked as a team. She had to watch over him when he assisted in jobs other than a simple alleyway crime. So, all of the last two hours, she'd been watching the live broadcast of how Spider-man stopped a bank heist.

And man did that do some things to her nerves.

"You're excused, but please do try to be on time," their Spanish teacher scolded.

Peter muttered another quick apology before making his way to the back of the room. It was where he and y/n sat. Always by each other; that's just a rule they'd accidentally set.  If one of the two had sat down in a spot, the seat beside them had to be reserved for the other. The people in their classes would just fill other desks. And, for some odd reason, everybody else just accepted this nonverbal rule.

Well, everyone except for Flash. But even he had given up mostly on trying to secure a spot next to her. He'd still take his chances every now and then though. Which only ever resulted in someone causing a distraction that would lure Flash in and give Peter enough time to replace him in the spot.

Peter took his seat with a sigh. He slung his bag off and let it fall to the floor. Slumping down in his chair, Peter raked his fingers through his hair, "Man. That was intense. Did you see it? I know you did. How do you think I did? Wasn't I amazing? I did good, didn't I?"

"No," she flat out rejected. Her eyes were glaring at him for the side, mentally scolding him for skipping out on school. Sure, he might've saved a couple million from being robbed from the city, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't much. "And you look like a hot mess."

"I may be a mess, but at least I'm hot," Peter huffed, crossing his arms with a small pout.

She turned her head towards the side he was on with the meanest scowl presented across her face. It sent shivers down Peter's spine; not only was he forced to back down from the challenge, but he also felt the sudden urge to curl up in a ball and cry his eyes out and never do anything she would dislike ever again.

He could hear her mumbled a few curses before flicking her eyes in between his mussed hair and his regretful eyes. She seemed reluctant about it, but slowly, her hands started to come up. They fixed his hair with a sort of haste. Wouldn't want anyone to see her helping out the worst boy of them all— excluding Flash of course. Ever since the "poetry" he wrote for her in seventh grade, she could barely stand breathing the same air as him (mostly).

With a huff, she pulled her hand back to examine her work. Not the best, but certainly not as bad as it had been when he first came into the room. "It'll do for now. But no more stopping bank robberies for today. People will start getting suspicious."

"Oh, I'll try my hardest," Peter gave a determined nod with pursed lips. He was joking, of course.

She rolled her eyes, turning away from him and returning her focus to the teacher once again. Something about a test was heard, but she ultimately paid no attention. Her focus, despite the fact she would never admit it, was on Peter. Watching him from her peripherals was the only way to go undetected while she zoned in on him.