26

Instead of leaving the station that same evening, they spent an additional two days gathering more necessary items.
Although Valk had the coordinates of the hideout, he had no idea what to expect there.

He and his brother had received the coordinates from an unknown source when they were just kids, and although Vok, Valk's deceased twin brother, had visited the place, it had only been right before his death and he hadn't given Valk any specifics about the place, just that it was a secluded and safe area.

The plan was to land the ship on the surface of the planet and camp there. He wasn't so much afraid that no food would be available to him, on almost every habitable planet there was game to hunt that he could eat. Food for Kenzi could become a problem as she couldn't eat just anything let alone unfamiliar meat, his mate was a picky chewer, a picky pregnant chewer to be exact, he knew she would be extra careful with unfamiliar food, and he most certainly.

In addition to food, it was also important to bring medicine, should the medical unit crash, he wanted to make sure he could help Kenzi, at least provide first aid.
Valk wasn't worried about his own health, but more about that of his mate and his unborn pups.

Over the weeks it had become clear to him how much he deviated from the "regular" Yautja. No Yautja male would care about the mother or the pup he sired with her, nor the fact that he wanted to make Kenzi his own, the moment he lay eyes on her.

He had never felt the need to sire offspring before. Sure, he'd thought about it, but the urge had never really been there. The need of finding his release with women had been there and he gave in to it multiple times, but that was it, nothing more.

But from the moment she was dragged against him in the river by the churning water as she tried to escape, there was only one thing on his mind and that was to sire a pup with her and now he had fathered two pups with his mate...

Mate..., the word was still foreign to him, yet it felt so right, just another thing which made him different from the other Yautja.

"Valk. Valk?" When he didn't answer her, Kenzi got up from the soft place she created with the newly bought pillows and rugs and walked over to her mate.

"Penny for your thoughts..."

Her voice that close by, pulled him away from his thoughts, and with his left cheek still resting on his knuckles he looked up.

"What does that mean?"

Valk looked her over and couldn't help but grin at the clothes she was wearing. His little hothead wore an oversized black shirt, resembling a human button-up shirt, that barely covered her ass. She had her sleeves rolled up to the elbows, underneath she wore nothing more than a black hipster that hugged her buttocks perfectly.

He had expected her to buy dresses or trousers, or both, ...at least the same kind of clothes she would wear on Earth, but she'd mainly chosen shirts in various colors, two tight black trousers and two pairs of coarse boots, not to forget several pieces of undergarment.

But to be honest, even though the shirts were more than three sizes too big, she knew exactly how to wear them to get Valk's attention.

"Where were did your mind wander of too?"

Valk smirked, nosy little thing... "Everywhere and nowhere in particular, why?"

"There was such a distant look in your eyes... But I wanted to ask you something..." and she placed one of her small screens in front of him.

"You mentioned at the beginning of the search that Ranac was an ancestor of yours. What kind of ancestor? Grandfather, great grandfather?"

This got his attention, and he sat up straight. "My sires progenitor. Why, what did you find?"

"Well, it's more what I didn't find... Your father is mentioned nowhere and I literally mean nowhere... But I did find chapters about you and your brother and most of the times in combination with Ranac... What if Ranac is not your grand father, but your father? Have you ever thought about that?"

Before he had a chance to say something, she continued, pointing out certain highlighted parts in the documents he gave her to study.

"I know you said you didn't know who your father was, but I'll bet the people who altered the males who sired you an your brother and the rest of your brethren did know... I bet..., they were afraid you would go looking for him, because..., let's face it, you and you're brethren are one of a kind. You're born with unnatural strength, intelligence, you're highly adaptable and they probably thought they could mold you into the perfect hunters, you would be the ultimate Yautja."

"Ranac was only killed, when you were eighteen years old and not when you were born... I bet the man was able to stay hidden for all that time, and something pushed him to resurface and that's when they killed him."

Kenzi scrolled through various highlights until she found what she was looking for, directing her focus on him again.

"When exactly did you get the coordinates of the hideout?"

Her assumptions were so far fetched, that for some bizarre reason she might be right, Valk though to himself.

Without taking his eyes from the screen, which displayed the highlighted parts in both English as in his native language.

"We received an anonymous message with the coordinates when we were thirteen cycles. The coordinates were hidden in this wristband..." He lifted his wrist to show her a slim bronze coloured metal bracelet.
Valk continued. .."... Vok gotten his that same day. We only figured out it had an hidden compartment years later, during our blooded rite."

Kenzi narrowed her eyes. "So you got the bracelet while he was alive? Maybe he was hoping you guys would find the coordinates and go look for him..."

Valk paused and slowly took his eyes away from the screen and focused on his mate, his heart was beating faster and faster.

"Although it goes against everything they tough us and it sounds too far-fetched... I think you could be right about this..., it would explain why we never got a straight answer to our questions, not from our breeder nor any of the elders."

This could be the start of finding answers.

Valk bent his head to press his forehead against Kenzi's.
"Thank you, my mate."