26: As Sweet As Meadowsweet

Dearest Readers,

I hope you enjoyed last chapter! This one was also fun to write, as sometimes distance makes the heart grow fonder... I think. So of course Dean and Seph need to find other ways to display their affection for each other, and I think it turned out okay.

Let me know what you think and what you want to see from our favorite trio next! Also, if you are reading, please give this story a follow or even follow my account to make sure you stay up to date on all the latest updates!

XOXO Ally Layne.

---

Being around the family was just what Persie needed, that was for sure. Her favorite thing was getting to spend time with her mom, Paul, and Estelle, so being able to take time away from monster hunting and focusing on them was a blessing she didn't know she needed.

However, she was adamant that the Winchesters keep in close communication with her during this hunt.

And so far, Sam has been the best method of contact. He was the most honest about their search, while it seemed that Dean didn't really try to tell her too many details. He was more focused on learning how her time was being spent with her family.

"So your mom, Sally, insisted that they wait for you to get home before any ornaments went up on the tree?" Dean asked over the phone.

Persie grinned from where she was laying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. It was getting dark, and the second day she had spent at her mom and Paul's apartment.

"Yeah, she made Estelle hold off until I got home. I mean, it's not like she would've been able to get to the top of the tree, so I would've been able to put some up anyway, but it was nice to do it together."

Dean hummed. "Sammy and I never really had a tree growing up," he admitted.

"Well you should get here so you can say you have one for this Christmas," she told him. "Do you guys have any real leads yet?"

"How about your step-dad... Paul, is it?"

"Dean-"

"How has he been doing with having you home?"

"Dean, you're avoiding-"

"It must be weird having you home after being gone all the time, you know? Now with two girls-"

"Dean!" She exclaimed. "Stop cutting me off and answer the question."

"I'm curious, though."

She sighed. "And I'm curious about the case."

"Hasn't Sam already told you everything?"

Her brows raised. "Sammy-boy has told me a lot, yeah. But I want to hear it from you."

"Why? I'm sure Sam has told you everything that we both know."

Persie rolled her eyes. "I'm pretty sure that you aren't as dumb as you're making yourself out to be. Plus, you're good at explaining the situation as it is, not launching directly into explanations about every miniscule detail like Sam does, which can be a little annoying."

She heard Dean laugh. "That sounds like him."

"So tell me about what you've found."

"Well, it turns out that someone has been making wreaths out of meadowsweet, which happens to be one of the most powerful plants for pagan lore."

"Pagan lore?"

"Well, I know Sam told you that we're investigating people getting dragged up chimneys, and not in one piece. They're being used as sacrifices to the pagan god of the Winter Solstice, who in turn gives them mild weather. It's not snowing here, in Michigan, and we barely need our jackets."