37: Daddy Issues

Dearest Readers,

Thank you for all the kind words and the 700 followers! This is remarkable. Thank you for all the support, it truly means the world! Give me a follow for more updates on other stories or follow/favorite the story to keep up with these updates!

Don't forget to let me know what you think. I am always looking forward to hearing from you!

XOXO Ally Layne.

---

Persie blinked up at the ceiling above her.

Someone was holding her hand. She knew that much.

"Persie."

It was just a dream. She was awake, in the hospital, not back in the pit, not back there-

"Snap out of it, Persie."

She got out.

She's been out of the pit for a long time now.

Then why does she still feel it under her skin?

"Persephone."

Persie blinked again, and things started coming into focus.

Her hand was being held delicately, with a soft, loving touch. Hands that have held her since she was a child. She could smell the faint whiff of lavender in the air as someone shuffled closer to her side.

"Mom?"

A low chuckle, warm and comforting sounded at the croak in her voice. "Yes, it's me," Sally Blofis's voice caressed over her daughter, warming her from the inside out. "I've missed you."

Persie blinked a few more times, looking to where the voice was coming from, and sure enough this wasn't a dream. Her mom was there with her. She wasn't alone. "You came."

Sally's smile waned as tears welled on the bottom of her blue eyes. "I will always be there when you need me. I love you, Persie."

A small smile tugged on her lips. "I love you too, mom."

"And I love you both," another voice croaked from behind her mom.

Persie felt herself perk up at the sound. "Uncle Bobby?"

Sure enough, he was just behind her mom in another bed where he was hooked up to all kinds of monitors. He was looking a little pale, but healthy, as he was seated up and looking over at them with kind eyes. "Yeah, kid. I'm glad you're okay."

She let out a sigh of contentment and closed her eyes briefly. "Good." Suddenly, two other faces that she recognized from her nightmare made her pause. "Wait, is there a reason why I saw both Annabeth and Dean in my nightmare this time? I mean, sometimes Annabeth is there..." her voice slowly faded.

Sally squeezed her hand and ran a hand through her daughter's hair in comfort. Who it was supposed to comfort, the mother didn't know, but her anxiety softened as her daughter leaned into her touch.

"From what your mom has told me, they took some of that African Dream Root to free us from the nightmares we were trapped in," Bobby explained, before letting out a few coughs. "Lord knows what they saw or went through to get to us, but they did it."

"Annabeth called and said they were on their way here," Sally added, and Persie nodded slowly, though still a little confused as to what all happened.

A part of her still was in the pit.

She wasn't sure if she'd ever be free.

Sally squeezed her hand again, and Persie found herself looking at her mom's blue eyes again. "You okay, sweetie? You were gone for a second there."