6. Jacob

November 3, 2020 (7 weeks)

"I had a great time today," Brook said as I drove us to her house so I could drop her and Grayson home.

"I did too," I replied looking cover at her and saw her smiling, "I hope we can do this again,"

"I do too," she replied with a smile and I reached over the console and intertwined our fingers together before bringing our joined hands to my lips.

"How about you and I go out tomorrow night, just the two of us?" I asked and before she could reply my phone began ringing and I pressed the answer button on the wheel since my phone was as contented to the Bluetooth.

"Ja-Jacob" my mother's cries came through the speakers making me frown,

"What's wrong mom?" I asked pulling over and taking the call off from Bluetooth, and it's not that I didn't want Brook to listen, but it was more so because I didn't want to wake the sleeping baby in the backseat.

"It's your sister," she said with a sniffle making my blood run cold

"What happened?"

"She fainted," she replied and I swallowed the lump in my throat, "She was complaining of having headaches and they did some tests,"

"And?" I asked prompting her into telling me the bad news. I knew Tory was having headaches and that there were days where she didn't have an appetite and wild rather be in bed sleeping the day or even the week away because of how bad they get.

"Are you driving?" She asked and I shook bye as before remembering that she couldn't see

"No, I pulled over to the side of the road," I said looking over at Brook who had a worried look on her pretty face, "now tell me what the doctor said about Tory and why she fainted."

"It's spreading," I closed my eyes at her words and felt my heart stutter in my chest at the news.

Fuck.

"What did the doctor say?"

"They want to start her on some stronger chemo," she answered and I nodded, "they're going to start her on it tonight."

I ran my fingers through my hair, "Is Trevor with you?"

I would be happier knowing that she had him with her and helping her through this then her going through it alone.

"Yeah, he headed to Dunkin to get us some coffee before they close since the cafeteria's coffee machine is broken,"

"Okay, that's good, I'll stop by once I drop Brook and her son at home," I said. And yes, I did tell her about Brook having a son already and though I could tell she wanted to know more, she didn't ask and I was grateful because I didn't know either and when and if things go good between us then hopefully she'll tell me but like I said before, I wasn't going to force her to tell me if she didn't want to.

Anyway, mom was pissed to say the least when I told her about getting a girl pregnant. She even went as far as to hit me over the head and yell at me for being stupid and irresponsible and that I had to step up and be a man. That Brook needed my support—as if I was going to let her go through the pregnancy alone—and that I needed to stop getting into trouble all the time.

I looked over when I felt a hand on mine and saw Brook giving me a warm comforting smile, "Tory would be very happy to see you here,"

"Tell her that I'll see her soon and to listen to what the doctors say even if she hates them,"

I heard Mom sniffle as a chuckle filtered through the speaker making me smile, "I will, now you drive safely okay? Remember you've got three precious cargo with you now,"

"I know Ma," I said and after we exchanged a few more words, I ended the call and sighed, "Sorry, about that."

"Why? It seemed like an important call from what I heard," she said and I nodded, "You don't need to apologize nor feel bad for picking up the call, Jacob. I just hope that whatever it is, that it gets better."

I could only smile, "Come on, let's get y-"

"Can I go with you? I know that we haven't been talking for that long but I want to be with you and support you plus I also want to meet my biggest fan."

*******

"How is she?" I asked as soon as Brook and I walked onto the floor that Tory had been admitted to earlier this morning.

"She's sleeping at the moment," Mom said as she looked at Brook and Grayson, "I'm sorry that my son brought you along, you both must be exhausted."

Brook smiled and shook her head, "No need to apologize, I actually asked Jacob to bring me. I heard that your daughter was a fan so I wanted to come meet her."

Mom gave her a warm smile before turning back to me, "You better take them home soon,"

"I will, what did the doctor say about the cancer treatments?" I asked, I had filled Brook in on to what happened and she was shocked and upset with the news.

"I've known you long enough to know that you hate pity," she had said once I had told her about Tory and her illness, "but what I will say is that I'm here and you can count on me."

I don't think I've ever had a girl say that to me, all they've ever said was 'oh my gosh I'm so sorry' or 'how much does treatment cost?' And my all time favorite, 'What does chemotherapy feel like?' That last one being asked to my sister, like who even fucking asks that to someone who's going through something like that? To say that I practically threw her out would be an understatement because I actually threw her out and slammed the door on her face. Of course mom said that I shouldn't have done that to her but I couldn't careless, no one messes with my sister and gets away with whether they're a girl or a guy. Yeah she was also pissed that I had a girl over while she and Tory had been at the hospital for her treatments.

"Do you think I could come visit Tory in the morning?" I heard Brook say as I came back to the present and my mom smiled and nodded, "what are some things she likes?"

I stood back and watched at my mom and hopefully soon to be girlfriend interacting and smiled as I could already picture Tory having a meltdown when she sees Brook tomorrow morning. She's been a huge fan of hers ever since she saw Brook's first YouTube video a year ago. I couldn't wait to see her reaction tomorrow.

"It was nice meeting you, Ms Richards," Brook said and Mom smiled, "and don't tell your daughter I'm coming by, I want to surprise her."

"Please call me Addison," mom said and Brook nodded, "And don't worry, I wont." They exchanged hugs before she added, "It was lovely meeting you as well, sweetie. I sure hope my son brings you and this sweetheart over soon,"

"That would be lovely," Brook agreed and I shook my head, "You ready?"

I nodded, "Tell Tory that I'll be in tomorrow to see her,"

"Will do," Mom gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug before whispering, "She's a keeper,"

"I know."