Friends

Severus sat in his office with a candles on each edges of his desk while he graded papers. The candle was just about out and he was just about done, well at least the first stack anyway.  After that pile though he was going to take a break as he deserved it.

He finished and arrived back in his quarters and smiled as he saw you, his dear friend, sitting on his small sofa, reading a book. You heard the door open and looked up to see Severus, you smiled and waved., "hello, Y/n"., "hi, Sev. How was your day?".

Severus sighed in frustration and shut the door. "It was awful. ..."., he began to complain., "...The students wouldn't listen to a word I said, all they did was misbehave"., you shook your head and got up, putting everything down and walked up to him, putting your hand on his back, resting your head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. But hey at least we get to spend the day together"., Severus nodded and smiled., "well, that is the only upside to this horrible day"., "well come on then, I'll make you feel better. ..."., you said and he watched you walk to the door.

"...Let's go to Hogsmeade"., "uh. ..."., Severus shook his head., "...Maybe not there, it's not very private there"., "oh come on, Sev. ..."., you begged., "...I love it there"., Severus didn't want to say no to you., "okay. ..."., he smiled nervously., "...Let's go".

He walked through the halls, looking at you every now and again but not speaking to you as he would rather do that privately. But he is up for listening to you ramble on as it was one of the high points of his day., "...so remember how you recommended Frankenstein to me?".

"Mhm"., he said quietly, making sure nobody heard him., "so today I actually finished reading it and I do have to say that it is the best horror book I have ever read"., he looked at you, giving you a smile and a nod as there was still people around.

"Oh, also there is this really good-"., "Y/n. ..."., he whispered as low as possible., "...please just wait until we get alone"., you gasped and nodded., "yes of course, how silly of me"., you said, clasping your hands together, looking at him, giving him a smile.

You and Severus walked into Three Broomsticks and Madam Rosemerta walked up. "Now, what can I get for you, Severus?"., "ooo. ..."., you looked up at him., "...ooo, get a tea, Sev"., "uh, just a tea please"., "of course, just take a seat".

Severus looked around and saw a secluded table in the back., "over there". You both sat down and he looked at you as you got yourself in a comfortable position, your back against the wall. "Now as I was saying there is really good book you should read it's called-".

Madam Rosemerta came over with a cup of tea and a smile. "Here you go and here is a complimentary cauldron cake"., "thankyou"., he smiled politely and she walked off to serve the next customers., "Sev?..."., you said, tapping your fingers on the table., "...Where do you want to go? We could go to the that tree you like?".

"Yes, of course. ..."., he said, lowly, wary of everyone around him., "...Could we go now? I feel like everyone is looking at me"., you nodded and gave him a smile., "we can but we just got here, maybe you should finish your tea first?"., Severus nodded., "yes of course".

You and Severus got to his favourite spot at Hogwarts and just like he thought, nobody was around, putting him at ease. You both sat down and you rested your head in his shoulder, looking up at the clouds, pointing up to one.

"Look Sev, what do you think that one looks like?"., he followed the direction of your finger and looked at the oddly shaped cloud, thinking for a moment., "hm...that kind of looks like a dog..."., he looked at the other ones., "...and that one kind of looks like a quill".

You chuckled and nodded., "also that one sort of looks like a big star"., Severus furrowed his eyebrows., "hm, no. I think it looks a person with his arms and legs out"., "yeah I can see that. ..."., you took your head off of his shoulder and looked up at him. Severus sighed happily., "it nice to have you here., "...I'm happy to be here. ..."., you smiled.

"...But can I ask you a question?"., "of course, anything"., "have you made any new friends?"., you asked and he shook his head, giving you an annoyed look., "I don't need any new friends, I have you"., you looked at him and sighed., "but-"., "no. ..."., he cut you off., "...I don't want to hear about it".

"Okay, I'm sorry. ..."., Severus looked at you, smiled sadly and conjured up the book he was currently in the middle of, Don Quixote. As he started reading you rested your head back on his shoulder. Severus looked at you and sighed as he looked around at the deserted field.

"I can't concentrate with you here, Y/n. You need to go away..."., you nodded and got up., "I'll go"., "j-just for a little while though"., Severus said, looking at you with a scared expression., you looked at him and smiled.

"It's okay, I understand. I'll see you back in your quarters?"., "of course you will"., you walked away and he buried his head back in the book, his mind wandering into the book, forgetting about everything around him, finally alone. Well for now at least.

Just over an hour went by and he finished the book, sighing in relief. As he made it disappear he sat back against the tree, admiring the view he had. The birds flying past, the light wind blowing through the grass and trees.

Oh, shit. Y/n.

Severus got up and wiped off the dirt and a few pieces of grass that stuck to his clothes and began walking back to his quarters, thinking about you, looking around at the meadow just ahead of him, seeing you picking out some flowers, looking back at him.

"Sev! ..."., you called out to him and waved., "...I know I said I'd meet you back in your quarters but I thought I would get you some flowers to put on your windowsill"., Severus smiled and picked out the ones you recommended, Agapanthus' and some Alyssum. "Okay, are you ready to go, Sev?"., "yes, let's go plant these"., you clapped your hands excitedly and smiled at him and the two of you rushed back to his quarters.

The two of you arrived back in his quarters and he rushed over to his windowsill, grabbing the pot and started to plant the flowers. "Do you think they work well together, Sev?"., he nodded., "yes, the colours go well together and-".

"Severus?"., Dumbledore said confused as he walked into the room abruptly. Severus looked at him with widened eyes., "Albus, you cannot just walk into my quarters unannounced and frankly uninvited"., "I apologise, I needed to ask you a question and the door was open".

He cursed under his breath and Albus looked around the room seeing nobody was there but Severus and now himself., "there is nobody here, Severus. Who were you talking to?".