3. The Sorting Ceremony

Eeep chapter two is here already. this chapter is mainly a filler one, kind of introducing you to the characters.

Hope you enjoy <3

Song: You're my best friend (Queen)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The Sorting Ceremony

・゚: *・゚:*    *:・゚*:・゚

September 1st 1971, Wednesday.

By the time the train was pulling into Hogsmeade station, Astra and Sirius had spent the entire eight hour journey chatting away about their childhoods, families and almost every aspect of their lives.

She learnt more about Sirius Black in this one train journey than she's ever learnt about anyone else in her life. She discovered he was very chatty and very much liked to talk about himself. Sirius could spend hours on end talking about himself. Surprisingly however, he was also an incredibly good listener. Sirius listened intently to every word she spoke as if he was soaking all the information in not wanting to miss out on a word. She had never had anyone pay that much attention to her when she was speaking before, it was refreshing.

Astra had learnt all about the Black family tree and the pressures Sirius had on him to be the perfect heir. There seemed to be a lot of incest involved, which Sirius spoke about as if it was the most normal thing on earth. Honestly, it made her feel quite sick to even think about. His parents were cousins, his Aunt and Uncle were cousins. If you weren't to marry direct family members in the Black household you were to marry into another pure-blood family, which when you think about it, was still marrying a distant family member anyway. Sirius said it was how they kept their magical blood so 'pure', in the words of his mother.

He confessed that despite his family throwing their pure-blood beliefs down his throat his entire life, he didn't agree with them very much, or at all really, much to his mother's dismay. Sirius wanted more than what they asked of him, he wanted to be more than just the Black family heir, their puppet on a string. He wanted to meet people from all walks of life, muggles, muggle-borns, half-bloods, everyone. He wanted to be able to do this without being constantly looked down upon by his parents.

Astra found out that he had a brother too, Regulus. He was a year younger than them and she quickly learnt how protective Sirius was over him. Sirius confessed he asked, no, begged his parents if he could hold back a year so he could start Hogwarts at the same time as Regulus, but of course they refused. He admitted that he was scared to leave Regulus alone in his house for a year, as he had always been the one to look out for him, and without Sirius there, he was scared that Regulus would conform to his family's ideologies and beliefs. He planned on writing to him every day. Astra was quite surprised at this. Writing every day is somewhat of a big commitment, but she could tell by the look in his eyes that he was determined to do everything he could to make sure Regulus was okay alone in their home.

Sirius had three cousins currently in attendance at Hogwarts. The eldest, Andromeda Black. She was his favourite. Sirius talked about Andromeda with nothing but admiration and awe, he looked up to her and all she stood for.

Sirius told her that Andromeda had the same beliefs he did, his family still choosing to ignore that they were different to the rest of them in hopes they can still get through to them both. Sirius and Andromeda shared a passion for muggle music and books.