28. Known it From the Start

HEY :)

First of all, I wanna thank you all for being patient with me these past couple of weeks whilst I've been on holiday. I went to Florida to meet my best friend @itsqueennik (she's also writing a Cosette spin off you should read it.)

Second, thank you all for still supporting and growing my story throughout my break. I appreciate you all so much, we're nearly at 40k reads eek.

Finally - this chapter is from our favourite boy's pov - Mr Sirius Black.

Enjoy my loves <3

Song: Lean on me (Bill Withers)

t.w scars / nightmares

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Known it From the Start

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

September 23rd 1972, Saturday.

Just like many times before, Sirius Black found himself waking up in the bed of one of his best friend, James Potter.

James had very quickly become something of a security blanket for Sirius, always being there when he was afraid to be alone or unable to sleep. Ever since the first week of first year, when the dark haired boy had accidentally fallen asleep in his friend's bed after a late night of conversing, he quite often found himself clambering across the room and joining him.

His mind had been so deeply messed around over the years, courtesy of his loving mother of course, that it enjoyed playing tricks on him. Sirius would have recurring nightmares about his home life, his childhood, the fear of his mother and the many curses she had used against him.

Recently, Regulus had made quite a lot of appearances in his nightmares. Sirius' guilt of leaving his brother alone in that house for an entire year had grown even more since his sorting into Slytherin, the thoughts of his younger brother going through all he had gone through with no ability to protect him imprinting deep into his brain.

Although, surprisingly, none of those things were the reason for his inability to sleep the night just gone.

As his eyes flickered across to Remus sleeping somewhat peacefully in his own bed, his stomach twisted into knots. It was the morning of a full moon, meaning in about twelve hours his friend would be suffering in excruciating pain and there would be nothing he could do about it.

Sirius knew about Remus' secret. He found himself regularly watching the taller boy without even realising it, meaning he had put the pieces together pretty quickly at the start of first year.

When Remus started falling ill every month like clockwork. When he would become moody and agitated both before and after the full moon. When Remus stretched in the mornings and his shirt would ride up slightly, revealing a stomach full of scars and scratches for a brief second.

It had never made a difference to Sirius, that Remus was a werewolf. All that mattered to him was that Remus was his friend who he loved and cared for deeply, nothing could change that. So, he had never thought it important that he let Remus know, that he knew.

Until they returned from Summer holidays, when the friend Sirius cared for so deeply came back with even more scars, even more physically drained and even more guarded - if that was even possible.