20. Realisation

Hey guys,

Sorry for not uploading yesterday, but the chapter is here, finally.

I hope you enjoy <3

Song: Way Down We Go (KALEO)

t.w scars / blood

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Realisation

・゚: *・゚:*    *:・゚*:・゚

May 29th 1972, Monday.

The past few months seemed to fly by as everything finally returned back to normal. Astra and Remus continued with their weekly Sunday walks as they had done prior to their argument. It took them a while, slight animosity lingered in the air for a short amount of time but eventually they got their relationship back on track, arguably now even closer than they had been before.

Sirius, thankfully, had returned back to his usual spirited, slightly cocky self following Christmas break, walking around the castle as if he owned the place. Astra would be the first to admit that at times, the way he paraded around was almost unbearable. But ultimately, if anyone deserved to be completely who they wanted to be when away from home, it was Sirius.

His entire childhood he had been brought up surrounded wholly by pure blood supremacy ideologies, Hogwarts was a completely different world to him. He flourished without the constant pressure of trying to be what his mother intended of him, without the constant fear of pernicious punishment any time he stepped even so much a toe out of line.

It was nice to see, for Astra at least. She wasn't too sure how many people would agree with her. To most other students - and even professors, Sirius was just a spoiled rich boy who believed the rules didn't apply to him and his privilege.  But no one else really knew what went on when Sirius returned home, so no one could quite understand why he acted the way he did.

Sirius Black was finally learning who he was, without the antagonistic influence of his family being constantly drilled into his head. If he had to annoy a few people in the process then so be it, Astra was proud of him.

James, on the other hand, acted this way without any real reasoning. He was just a spoiled rich boy who believed the rules didn't apply to him and his privilege. Although Astra had started to warm to the idea of James and their friendship after her birthday, it only took him a few months to say something stupid and ruin it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Sirius had received another howler from his mother at breakfast, meaning his mood had been rather foul that day. When the marauders and Astra had retired to the boys dorm after dinner to listen to some music and play some games, James had taken it upon himself to try and cheer his friend up.

This would have been all well and good had his cheering Sirius up not consisted of slandering the house in which Astra had been sorted.

"I wouldn't worry about turning out like your family mate." James had spoken somewhat quietly at Sirius, in an attempt to soothe his nerves. "They're all Slytherins aren't they, so the issue must inherently come from in the house. You're not a Slytherin, so you won't turn out like them."

"Or maybe the issue is the fact that I'm a Black, just like them." Sirius had responded in an attempt to brush off the other boy's comment.

"I'm sorry." Astra perked up from a game of chess with Peter. "What did you say, Potter?"