Chapter 13: It's Lovely to be Heard

The timer for the vegan dish goes off, Sam is the one who gets up to check on it. She raps the lasagna in tin foil so it can stay warm while the roast still cooks in the oven.

Over on the couch, while Sam waits for the food, Alex and Kara wake up their girls.

"Hey Mags, wake up, dinner is almost ready." Alex gently shakes Maggie, knowing that she needs at least fifteen minutes of recess before she can think of eating anything. She is definitely not a morning person, especially after this morning.

Maggie blinks groggily. Using her unoccupied hand to rub with closed fist the sleep from her eyes. She blinks up at Alex, still lazily sucking her thumb.

The tiny detective takes a moment to reconfigure and realize where she is exactly. The realization hits her and she shoots up, accidentally jostling the sleeping body next to her. The Latina pulls the thumb from her mouths clutches in a hurry. A high-pitched squeak erupts from her sleep-ridden throat.

Her sleeping partner groans next to her, she flips a bit on her backside, turning away from the commotion.

"Shh, sleeeeepy." It's slurred coming from the CEO's lips, the words jumbled together due to the obstruction her fingers in her mouth bring.

Kara was watching this from afar, Maggie hasn't really noticed her yet and thinks that is best. The reporter thinks it's best to act like this is no big deal, so she doesn't make any eye contact with the detective.

The blonde goes over to Lena from the backside of the couch. She notices the rise in Maggie's heart rate when she gets closer. Kara leans over a bit, trying to come down to Lena's level without putting her weight on the couch. She could just float, but maintaining her "human" side helps her do so in public too.

"Hey little star, dinner is almost ready, you need to eat with your meds."

Lena grunts and her brows furrow in audacity.

Her eyes are still closed, not paying any attention to her girlfriend that she can feel looming above her. She sucks her two fingers profusely, not realizing the bit of drool that is accumulating at the corners of her mouth.

The special agent motions for Maggie to scoot over a bit so the CEO can have room to sit up comfortably.

Kara rounds the couch and helps Lena sit up into position, back resting to the couch. After Kara gets her situated, she herself takes a seat next to her girlfriend.

The two are unaware that this interaction is being observed by the other three. Kara guides Lena's head to her shoulder and the brunette happily snuggles in.

A couple minutes in, Lena whispers something but Kara can't make out the jumbled words.

"What did you say?" Lena tried again but it was again obstructed by her fingers.

"Little star, I can't hear you with your fingers in." Lena grunts at that in annoyance. She takes them out of her mouth quickly.

"Blue doggie please." Words laced with the reminisce of sleep. She shoves the two fingers back into her mouth's grasp.

The reporter rolls her eyes good heartily and then reaches for the remote. She tunes into Blue Clues and then she settles back down. Not really paying attention to the child's show, instead, listening in on her loved ones' heartbeats. They are all settled except for the slightly elevated one that comes from Maggie. Kara leaves that alone, knowing that making it known wouldn't help this situation.

On the other end of the couch, the tiny detective just stares a little shocked at the interaction. She is entranced by the open display of so much love and trust and care. She wants to be able to do that with them. She doesn't want to have to care about judgment or rejection.

How can I do that if I can't even drop fully with my girlfriends, with people who I trust with my life?

Maggie whines at the thought, she lets herself fall into Alex. She hugs her torso for some much-needed comfort.

"It's ok." Alex whispers, kissing just behind her little ones' ears. The redhead doesn't exactly know what she's saying it's ok for but it comforts the latina nonetheless.

Alex isn't one to force a drop. She knows that sometimes that it can be warranted, she's been wanting to coax one for a while. The agent doesn't want Maggie to feel forced or pressured, but maybe it can do her some good. Dropped Maggie usually is always in some type of pain, Sam and Alex have expressed to each other that it would be healthier if Maggie dropped when not into such a state. Maybe it can even help prevent such traumatic moments too.

They really need to have a conversation with her, but they will try when they think she is ready and stable enough to get through the talk with minimal tears.

In the kitchen, Sam is sporting the biggest of smiles. She is elated at this scene, the CFO can't think of anything better than seeing her best friend find so much peace and the infinite amount of love that comes with it.

The brunette wants the moment to last so she decides on setting the plates and utensils out without the help of the others.

They're all eating in the living room since Lena can't entirely sit up for an extended period of time and feed herself. They don't want her to feel left out on the couch by herself so they are all gonna eat in, like an indoor picnic, and watch her favourite marvel movie.

The timer goes off when Sam pulls out the final glass for drinks. Usually, that's the cue for everyone to get up and grab dinner, so Maggie goes to stand.

Alex stops her, "I'll bring the food by, keep Lena company?"

Maggie takes a hesitant glance at Lena, the CEO's fingers still planted firmly in her mouth, looking peaceful and content, not a care in the world.

Maggie nods her head in response.

Alex kisses her head and then makes her way to the kitchen. The detective slides to the floor, she scoots a little closer to Lena's sock-clad feet that dangle off the edge of the couch, they barely touch the ground.

Kara gets up and drapes the blanket over Lena a little more.

She sees Maggie didn't bring a jacket, and it's a bit chilly, she and Lena did share a blanket when they were sleeping. Kara speeds into the bedroom and grabs a blanket off of their bed, she turns on the fake fireplace. The reporter then walks up to Maggie slowly and offers the fluffy blanket silently to Maggie.

The detective takes it without protest. "Thanks" can be heard in a hushed tone only by those close. Kara can tell she is nervous, she's biting on her pinky nail, trying hard to avoid eye contact with the super.

Kara smiles at her, even though the detective can't see, then she walks her way to the kitchen to dish the food.