Chapter 15: Learning Can be Fun

Kara does end up giving Lena ice cream after negotiating it down to two scoops instead of six. It's a little past ten and Maggie hasn't woken up, which is a huge plus for all the parties.

Kara has offered the throuple the guest room, as she always does when one ends up falling asleep or they are too tired to make the trip back home. They sleep there time and time again, so often that about a year and a half ago Lena fitted a California king since one of them always ends up complaining about the uncomfiness.

Each of the couple's homes have been a safe haven for each other. It's like a second home and they feel just fine with one other, they don't even have to knock. They have given each other a key; For Karas and Lena's home, access to the biometric scanner. It's not truly family if one doesn't know all the ridges that sit upon their friends' palms, or the exact shade of brown the iris of their best friends have.

Alex and Sam accept Kara's offer, more like her demand, quicker than usual. After years you would think they are fine just taking and not asking, ever the polite souls. It's exasperating.

They just go with it today, they are not too keen on having to wake up their little one. This is the most uninterrupted sleep she has gotten in a while. They certainly do not want to ruin this streak.

The brunette Kryptonian carries Maggie's limp sleep-induced body to the room dubbed theirs. She tucks her in the middle, knowing how much her little loves to have snuggles in the middle. Two hugs at once!

Sam quickly flies out through the balcony to their first home to retrieve her bunnies stuffed elephant and blanky. She sees the yellow and black paci sitting on the counter and takes that with her too.

She puts the blanket into the tiny detective's hands and tucks the stuffed animal into the crook of her elbow, just how she likes it. Sam quickly but gently pries Maggie's thumbs from her mouth and pops in the paci, which is taken without protest and is immediately put to use.

Maggie shifts a bit, the Latina turns onto her side and snuffs the stuffies fur, and then settles again. The room fills with the suckling sounds of Maggie's paci. Sam flickers off the main source of light and turns on the nightlight that stays hidden in the room for nights where Maggie is left alone. Sam floats to the exit and pulls the door up, leaving a little crack.

Sam continues to float and plops herself down on the living room couch.

"Did she wake?"

"Nope, thank Rao. She barely moved, just cuddled up with fluffy. She didn't even throw a fit when I put her paci in."

Alex smiles. Today was a big milestone for Maggie, for all of them. Maybe this was the detective's final wall. The final obstacle that obscures her from being one hundred percent happy and all the way in with this relationship and her friendship with Lena and Kara. She has always had one foot in, the other outside, with at least one bag packed and ready to go, never wanting to be kicked to the curb and fall flat on her face, so she braced for what she thought was inevitable.

But now, maybe Maggie can finally stop worrying and just trust. Trust that they won't leave or lead her astray, trust that they will and are doing everything with her best interest at heart. Put faith into those she says she loves and would give up her life for because she knows they would do the same.

Now Sam and Alex let out a relieved sigh, one that has been held in since this aspect of their relationship has begun.

They get satisfaction out of this arrangement just as much as Maggie. The detective doesn't realize it as of yet but she soon will see, sooner than expected if tonight was any indication. In this relationship, they get to feel needed, wanted. They both get to hone in on their maternal instinct and give Maggie whatever she needs. They do it without a second thought, taking care of Maggie the way they do is like a second instinct, it's done before any of them can blink twice. They don't see this changing anywhere in the future. This bond is one that will never break, the indestructible invisible red string tangles and ties them together for eternity, it never frays or wavers, it may knot and they have to go in and detangle manually, but, it always straightens out. It never stains, only strengthens as time moves forward. This love is everlasting, they are their own little unit, and they could never ask for anything more, because what more is there when everything is perfect the way it is?

"We are gonna talk," Kara whispers, cradling a now very sleepy Lena in her arms. "I'ma put Lee to bed."

In the meantime, while Kara gets Lena ready for bed, with L-Corp meds in her system, Sam switches the channel to cake wars for background noise.

Kara comes back but busies herself in the kitchen steaming up a pot of Lenas special British tea. She adds tons of sugar to her mug and a helping of honey to Alex's and extra of both to Sam. Sam is probably the only one besides Kara who has an unhealthy relationship with sugar. She can definitely down a pack of sour straw in one go.

The blonde comes back a few moments later with three mugs, she hands each to their respective person. Sam uses her freeze breath to cool Alex's share down though, Kara can never remember that her sister is human and if she actually took a sip of the offending liquid, her tongue would no longer be connected to her face.

"So, I don't want to step on toes or fish for business that isn't mine...." Kara leaves the comment up in the air.

Alex buts in first after taking a sip of her now warm for a human mug. "I think we can discuss the little thing, for other stuff, maybe when she is comfortable, you can talk to Maggie about it yourself."

Sam cuts in, "She has been through a lot, stuff you can't fathom, today, was a HUGE step." Sam sips her tea and then passes the invisible conversation stick to the redhead.

"Earlier she dropped," Kara makes a confused face at the word. "Drop basically just means the headspace she gets into. Mostly known as 'little space'"

Alex takes a breath, Sam starts again. "She usually fluctuates from two to five. She rarely goes to six but it happens from time to time. That's a fun age, she usually gets into the most trouble then though." Sam laughs at a memory of Maggie finding her way into some paint and decides to redecorate the fridge with more permanent artwork.

They ended up having to get a new fridge, but a picture of her masterpiece is hung up till this day and will forever be a funny memory. The little one did have to have a time out with no TV time but the blush that Maggie wears when she goes to the fridge is worth it all.

"When she gets to around one or so, she doesn't talk, essentially goes mute, like a fresh baby. But she doesn't babble or tries to communicate. She just waits for us. She is so clingy that one of us has to be holding or touching her at all times. She doesn't usually get to that point, it's only if she drops because of the build-up of the not-so-good emotions. You could call that an emotion-induced drop. Those are really hard on her." The pair look towards each other with sad smiles.

"It's hard those times. The first time it happened, I was so scared, Sam and I both were. She couldn't verbally express her needs, we tried, it's not that she didn't want to, it was like something physically was holding her back, she just couldn't communicate."

"But a day or so later, she came back and we had a long conversation." The DEO agents stops and sips her tea, silently telling Sam to go forward and speak.

"Her emotions don't build up to that extent anymore, we put a stop to that, well, we tried, she has her days." Sam lets out an exasperated sigh. "We still have days like that, where she won't speak, we have to hold her and cuddle her, which we don't mind at all, it's just we know why it's happening and it's no good. We know she's hurting and she can't even say why at the time and that's what scares us. That she gets to the point where even being verbal and alone rattles her. Don't get me wrong, what I'm explaining to you is someone who is very vulnerable, but she is so strong, so fucking strong to the point where she becomes brittle. One hit can shatter her. I see her in Lena, I think Lena needs this more than anything, I know she can benefit from it, I hope she is more accepting than Maggie was, it would go over a lot smoother."

A comfortable silence blankets the room.

Alex interrupts it, "We wouldn't trade any of this for all the money in the world. It helps her, and us to an extent. I hope that after today that Mags feels better about dropping when she wants and not only when she needs to and on the cusp of one."

The three finish up their tea and Sam washes the mugs up while the sisters stay on the couch and make idle conversation.

"When Lena is ready, we should have a playdate." The brunette articulates from the kitchen. She laughs at the thought, play date?

Kara facepalms, "I'm sure that will go over great."

-Sorry for the long wait, Wattpad wouldn't let me access my account for a while, but it's all good now apparently. Hope you enjoyed, 

Much love, Lex :))