two - before the truth

*2 WEEKS AGO*

"OH COME ON. YOU TOTALLY PASSED CASS, DON'T WORRY." SHE REASSURES ME. Maggie has a book open on a random page, so do I. We're in the library 'studying' for the test we already took. "I don't know. I feel like I missed a couple questions by accident Mags."

"You're the smartest person I know. Maybe the only smart person I know. You know what, no cross that off. The second smart person I know." She thinks for a while and proceeds to nod her head. "But I know you totally passed that test."

I pretend to be offended by her comment, "What! Who's the first?" She smiles and laughs,"My brother, Aaron. Remember him, we used to make him make us an incredible chocolate chip cookies! Oh my god, I miss those cookies a lot more than I should."

She puts her hands together and licks her lips as I let out a small laugh.

"Yeah I remember him. Those chocolate chip cookies were ah-may-zing. I used to have a major crush on your brother. I still do, but it's one of those silly little crushes you know? How is your brother by the way?" I say. Hoping she would catch on with what I'm really asking.
Like when he's coming back.

She has a serious face on now. I've never ever seen this face. I've never really upset Maggie in the past. I didn't think she would mind if I perhaps had a crush on her older brother. I've never had one, so I wouldn't know.

This is my fault.

"Look you can make all the jokes you want about every and any guy in this school. In the whole world and I wouldn't care, but you can not say shit like that about my older brother. Plus you have a boyfriend and my brother has a girlfriend who I love very much. I don't care who you flirt with I will never tell him, it's none of my business. But the minute you make another comment about my brother I won't hesitate to tell Jackson." She says as she puts her hands on the table to lift herself up and leave.

"Maggie— come on I was just kidding. I see him as a brother. An older brother. That's all I swear." I yell. The attention of everyone in the library are now on me.

She stops in her tracks. She's almost out of the library. She turns,"You have to promise me you won't sleep with him." She says. I look at her and I can see it in her eyes this is clearly important to her. So I promise her. Nothing will happen. I promise her I won't do anything. And I also remind her that I love her best friend....And I promise her I'll go to all the parties she wants to go to.

-

Maggie is a party person. She loves parties. She loves getting ready for it. She loves drinking at parties. Dancing, eating, sleeping. Anything she will do at parties.

It's a little concerning.

Unlike Maggie, I'm not. I don't like the idea of going somewhere to just get drunk and most of the time, the police ends up getting called and it's just hell.

Sometimes I bring something to read. Or I just read on my phone, although a book is better, Maggie thinks it ruins the fun.

Maggie hated when I brought a book to a party. She says and I quote,"Honey sweetie. I love you I really really do, but I have many many friends and I have a reputation to hold. Queen of Partying and Fun. Right now, you are ripping apart my reputation by bringing a book to a party. My party."

Since then, I haven't gone to any parties, especially hers.

-

"So what do you think we should wear to the party this weekend?" Maggie says. She's laying on her bed, flipping through magazines, looking for outfit inspiration. Whatever that means.