twenty-two - graduation day

"You'll be fine for the most of it." The doctor says. "We've already gotten the few pieces of glass out and checked for any internal damage. You should be fine. You will have a killer concussion for the next few days, but other than that you are free to go."

"Thank you." He nods and leaves.

I rest my head against the hospital bed before they come barging in. I wait.

Ten minutes, I figured they'd give me a few minutes. Thirty minutes, I'm a little worried. An hour, I'm out of the room.

I walk around the hospital halls. They are no where to be found. I discharge myself out.

Luckily for me wherever they went, they took one of their cars and not mine, considering they took mine to get here.

I have no idea what happened after my bottle smashed the vodka bottle across my head. I just remember yelling, a lot of yelling. Just voices who I can't put names to. It's still a little foggy.

When I arrive at my house, the kids aren't sprayed against the living room couch. Anxiety crawls up my spine. I go upstairs. No kids. They're not in their rooms, not in mine.

I run downstairs and grab my phone. Call Meredith immediately.

The phone rings for what seems like ages. God what if something happened? What if my mother did something to them? Oh my god. What if she took them? "Hello?"

"Where are they?" My voice is strained from the screaming match earlier. "Cass.."

"Where are they Mer!" Silence. Painful silence. My hearts been ripped out of my chest. Stomped on. Thrown on the wall. It's been crushed. My kids are missing, gone. Along with whatever has kept me from burning this place down.

"I'm coming over." She hangs up.

-

Before Meredith can get to my front door, I open it. "Where are they Mer?"

Her eyes are swollen like she's been crying. Blood shot red. Same clothes on from earlier. Blood smeared across her shirt. Then tears. Not from her, but from me.

Falling down on my face because deep down I know what happened.

"Mer..please." I beg.

"She took them." Took them. Took them. She. She. She took them. "After she smashed the bottle across your face, we heard the commotion. I told them to stay put. I told them to stay, but they didn't listen. They wanted to save you."

"Your mother yelled. She yelled. Saying shit about how you were such an ungrateful bitch and the kids were hers. They screamed at her. They yelled and they screamed. At some point, I got down on my knees to see if you were conscious." She explains, but all I can think about is that I can't feel anything. I don't feel anything.

"During that time, it was silent. I can't even remember why I didn't get up because of the silence, but I did. I did and they were gone. I fucking ran outside and your mom was putting them inside her car. They were screaming Cass. Screaming. I don't think a day will go by that I don't hear those—She drove off."

"I managed to get her license plate. I told Lorenzo and he's trying to figure out if he can track her somehow. I have no idea how, but they are looking for them, okay? We will find them."

I'm so tired. So tired. My eyes are heavy and all I can think about is going to bed. Resting my eyes and falling asleep. Dreaming about a world where I have the most perfect family of all time and I'm happy. Genuinely happy.

"Cassandra." Aaron's voice. His raspy voice. The way my name slides off his tongue. I feel like I should cry, but I have no more tears to give to this world.