sixteen - all parties aren't that great

My mind lingers around the ideas of getting at Aaron. I like it more than I'd like to admit. Last time I saw him was when he came for the last of his stuff at Maggie's house.

And that was a week ago. He's living with Lorenzo now. If I wanted to see him, I'd have to text him. And I don't know if I want to do that. At least not yet.

I go to my contacts and pull up his number debating whether I should or shouldn't. It technically isn't the same as what Maggie did to me, but it's her brother.

He grew up taking care of her. And right now it seems like he's the only parental figure around for her. We aren't little kids anymore, but I can't help wonder if Maggie would be different if her parents were around to care.

If my parents were around to care. Would this be the same? Would it matter? Would she be the person I thought she was? Would I be better than I am now?

Flashes of what could've been if we both had loving parents go through my mind like if it happened, and for a second I mourn a life I could've had.

I snap out of my thoughts and exit Aaron's contact. Instead I text Meredith.

It's my birthday today. I should celebrate it. And I should do it the way I want to. Maggie always convinced me to throw parties, but really only people would come because of her.

Today I'll throw a party, but my way. I don't know what my way is yet, but maybe Meredith can help me figure that out.

mer ❤️‍🩹

me:
heyy i need a favorr. i want to throw a party for my birthday today, but i need your help with like everything lol

mer❤️‍🩹:
yeah i'll help dw. where are you going to throw it?

me:
my house. probably a bad idea but it's whatever.

mer❤️‍🩹:
okay well we will probably have to spend all day trying to get everything done

me:
i can ask lola to help and the kids if they're willing. what time are you coming? and don't ask me for anything party related i'll help but i don't want to stress about decision making and every thing and i'll totally pay u for whatever u have to buy

mer❤️‍🩹:
yeah i'll do it how i want to then 😏 you give me full permission to do whatever i want?

me:
..yes but don't make me regret it mer istg

mer❤️‍🩹:
i swear on my life u won't regret it i just need one thing from you.

me:
?

mer❤️‍🩹:
a color? i'll plan and do everything by myself except decorate but i need at least a color theme and i'll go from there😊😊

me:
um like a darkish red

mer❤️‍🩹:
ouuu i love red. i'll text you when i'm coming over with the stuff.

me:
me too
me toooo and okay see u later

-

Meredith texts me about two hours later saying she's coming over. At 2pm, we start decorating. She picked out the most beautiful decorations and I love them, the fact that they're a dark red makes it so much better.