eleven - ?

*continued from chap.9*

"So what's so huge you had to come over?" I
say, as I sit down and take a bite of my pizza.

The kids are sitting on the table eating their pizza. 

It's about to be four in the morning. I'm hurrying them up to eat quickly so they could go to sleep.

It's technically already Sunday, so school isn't a problem.

"I met this guy. At a bar—" she says, reaching over the counter to grab the pizza box. "His name was—I believe his name was Enzo? Anyways when I tell you this guy is so fucking fine. I just want to grab him and put him in my mouth and tear him into little pedacitos." She says. I make a face and Meredith notices. I didn't know Meredith spoke Spanish.

"Oh I'm sorry. That means pieces." She says. "Oh I know." I say back. Meredith's surprised face says it all. I could recognize it a mile away.

Both my parents are a darker shade then me. My siblings are  just a lighter shade, but you could still tell their Mexican. I am the odd one out.

It's a good thing overall. It's just the faces that people make when they find out.

"What? Little blanquita can speak el español? What else are you keeping from me?" Meredith asks. She grabs a slice from the pizza box and begins eating.

I laugh. "Nothing that's it. Um I didn't know you spoke the language though. So what are you keeping from me? Hmm." I say.

She laughs too. "I guess I thought you knew. People always said you could tell I spoke it because of my voice. Apparently you can hear my accent when I speak. I assumed you knew."

"Mhm. I thought it once. I didn't want to ask because I assumed it would come off as rude or mean, so I left it at that."

Her face furrows in confusion and she finished swallowing the pizza in her mouth. "Why would you assume it would come off as rude or mean?"

"I don't know. It's a thing I do a lot. Whenever I meet new people and they come off as interesting, I usually want to ask questions, but I never end of doing so because I think it sounds rude or it'll come off rude to the other person. And I don't want people to think of me like I'm the girl who oversteps peoples boundaries or something."

Wow. Nope. That's too much, too soon. I should keep my issues out of peoples ways. Fuck.

I try to apologize, but Meredith interrupts me.
"Why do you think that? Why does your mind immediately go to that?"

I shrug my shoulders and drink the soda next to me. "I don't know. I think it comes from my mother actually. When I was younger, I would ask questions a lot. My curiosity was far bigger than any other kid in our classes. At least that's what my mom said. One day I asked too many questions to some kids mom about I don't know what and she told me I was being rude. I didn't get what she was saying. I was just asking questions you know? So I went to my mother that day—" I cleared my throat. "—she said asking too many questions came off as rude and mean to some people and that I should just learn to keep my mouth shut, but of course I didn't. Once again I asked too many questions with my big mouth and she—" I took my eyes Meredith and looked down at the food below me. "—she slapped me across the face. I never asked questions that seemed to overstep peoples boundaries after that."

I cleared my throat again and took another bite of my pizza, but my stomach rejected it. I felt like I was being force fed and I didn't want to eat anymore.

I threw the pizza away and sat back down. I met eyes with Meredith, but she said nothing. She got up from her seat, walked around the table and hugged me. "You can never ask too many questions. At least not to me. Your mothers a bitch with no curiosity. Don't let her take that away from you." She whispered in my ear as she kissed my cheek.

I tear fell from my eye, but I quickly wiped it away. I guess I should stop doing that too.

"We're done eating— Are you okay?" My little brother asked me as he stood right in front of me.

"Oh yeah yeah. I'm fine. Are you done eating?—" He nods. "Okay." I got up from my chair, took his plate away and put it in the trash. I went to see where my sister went, but she wasn't around the living room. "Where's Rory?" I said as I still looked around the house just in case I missed her.

"She went upstairs to sleep. She said she was tired." He yawns.

"Do you want me to tuck you in?" I asked. He nodded.

I turned back to face Meredith. "Thank you. I'll be right back." I whispered.

"Come on." I said, as I walked up the stairs into my brothers room.

-

edit: 2/2/23
for those with mothers like that, u can borrow my mom :)