twenty - happy birthday me

When we get to Lola's restaurant/her house, there's no one there. No customers. There usually never is. Lola likes to close her restaurant when we celebrate because she wants it to just be us.

Us.

Some people have really fucked up families. Whether it's with your parents, or your siblings. Or extended family. I don't believe there is a family out there that isn't a little fucked up.

I like to believe though, that my little family with Lola is perfect. Imperfect. She's the mother I always wanted. The mother I wish my siblings got. The mother I wish I got.

Lola will always be my mother. La quiero mucho. Ella vino a mi vida cuando tenía nadie. Y por eso, la amo. Con todo lo que le puedo dar. Amo a mis hermanos como yo los amo. Como mi mamá los debe de amar. I'll always be grateful for her for that.

I enter the restaurant door with Lorenzo, Aaron, and Meredith behind me. Almost immediately the kids run up to me. "Happy birthday!" Rory yells as she holds out a letter along with my favorite chocolate, "Happy birthday." I hear Jason say. His voice sounds sad. I bend down to his height, "Hey, what happened?" I put my hands on his cheeks. He stares down at my feet.

"I thought you weren't coming back." My heart breaks. Jason's only 10. He shouldn't be worrying about me leaving him. I would never. I kiss him on the forehead and I whisper, "I'd never leave you." Emphasis on never. I never want them to think I'd leave.

I'd never want them to think I'd leave like our mother. "Plus, who'd beat me at Mario Karts everyday? Now that's no fun." I laugh. He smiles and I hug him. Making sure to pour every ounce of happiness I have into the kid in front of me. Then pull Rory into the hug. "I love you guys. You know that right?" Say yes. Please say yes.

They both nod with a small smile on their faces. I smile before getting up and turning over to the three people behind me. "So guys, I brought guests I hope you don't mind?" Jason eyes down them all, but stays quiet. Rory smiles awkwardly. "This is my best friend, Meredith. Lorenzo, and uh- Aaron." I say, "Guys, this is Rory and Jason."

My friends wave at my siblings and Jason pulls me aside from them. "I thought it was just going to be us?" He says in the softest voice ever. I swear I almost cry. I spent my whole life making sure these kids were loved. I'd hate for them to think just because I bring people here, that I love them any less.

"I know buddy, but these are special people. I trust them." I say. "You can trust them, okay?" I just hope I'm right. To them my mom is a fucking saint, but deep down I know they put up this facade.

I don't know why. I always make sure I never disrespect our mom in front of them. Because they're still young, they need their mom. Like I needed her. And if you told 11 year old me, my mom was a bad mom. I would've defended for with everything I got because I loved the idea of her.

They love the idea of her. They don't love her,  not the real her anyways. I want them to make their own decisions about her. Not taint her image with what I know. Jason nods as he goes back to where Rory is. I stand back looking at my family. All of them.

Aaron and Lorenzo are having a conversation with Rory, and Meredith bends down to Jason's height and starts touching his face. He blushes as her touch and it's adorable.

When I get closer, I hear both Aaron and Lorenzo bickering with my little sister. "You do not have two dogs?!" She almost gasps. "I do. Iris and Stone." He says. Lorenzo nods at what Aaron's saying before he chips in, "And they're crazy."