six - the party

We pick up Maggie not to long after our call ended. She still had her clothes on from earlier, her makeup had already been done.

We waited a couple minutes until Maggie finally got into the car. Aaron went inside the house to get my purse, as I wasn't ready to walk in there just yet.

Both Maggie and Aaron walk out together. Aaron closing and locking the door behind them. Maggie enters the back seat without saying a word.

Aaron comes back with my purse in his hand. I give him a faint smile as he nods.

We back out of their driveway as Aaron asks Maggie where the party is at. I still had no clue where it was or who was hosting it. I have a feeling Maggie hasn't told me because she's feeling guilty.

And I know it's not the sleeping with my boyfriend, it's something else.

"What's the address?" Aaron asks Maggie, looking through the rear view mirror. Making eye contact with her. She looks down to her lap before taking a deep breath. "Cass, don't be mad."

I look at Aaron as he looks at me. "What do you mean?" I say, trying not to sound like I didn't just hear her saying she's been fucking my boyfriend. I roll my eyes and Aaron notices. His lips thin trying to contain the small grin he does.

"The party's at...Alejandro's house. His younger brother is the one hosting the party." She whispers. She looks out the window, scared to make eye contact with me.

My breath suddenly seems to be taken away and memories come flooding back.

Aaron looks at me and raises an eyebrow. I dismiss his concern about who Alejandro is. I don't say anything to Maggie right away. If I were too, I would ruin this whole plan. Maggie's anxiety bounces off this car as soon as she says it.

As all those memories I had of him and myself come flooding back, the more angrier I get at Maggie and myself. She's still looking out the window and constantly switching from her lap or the window to look at.

Aaron notices the sudden change in my expression. He knows I can see him, so he moves his head left to right, signaling me not to lash out.

I look outside the window to calm myself down, but once the memories came flooding back, they didn't stop.

That party, that car, those stairs, that scar.

As my hands curled into fists and my heart beat was uncontrollable and faster than usual. Before I knew it, Aaron's hand was in mine. Intertwined together.

My heart beat calmed down. I took a deep breath and looked at Aaron. With the same look I felt guilty of giving him not much earlier.
I was calm enough now to continue talking to Maggie.

I push down all those emotions and feelings into a little box. And lock it. And throw it in the ocean.

If Aaron had held my hand a few seconds after he did, my fist would be in contact with Maggie's face right about now.

"It's fine." I tell her. Maggie still has her eyes peeled on the window, so she doesn't notice Aaron's hand in mine. Even if she were looking at us, it's too dark to see it.

-

Aaron's POV

We arrive at Alejandro's house. Maggie and Cassandra go inside together. Cassandra hesitated before she takes a step into the house.

In the back of my mind, I wonder who Alejandro is. And why it makes Cassandra break down like she did.

Wasn't really like a breakdown physically, but inside she did. The way her leg bounced at the thought of Alejandro's house. And how her fists formed into a punch.