33. "OMG, Girl Power"

The all city team ended up winning the game 20-14, but not without a scare. The winning touchdown came from Taylor near the end of the game.

It was during the last minute of the game and the other team had the ball. They were ahead by one point and it looked like they were about to score again. It was second and goal on the nine yard line. The Clayton quarterback pulled back for the pass and he was violently sacked, just before he released the ball, causing it to go up in the air and back down on the seven yard line.

Taylor happened to be near enough to where the ball was about to land that he was able to catch it.

"Interception by number 66, Ms. Taylor Perkio," the game announcer called out over the loud speakers as Taylor ran for his life, towards the end zone. "To the 20, the 30, the 40 yard line. No one can catch her. It looks like she gonna go all... the... way."

None of the boys on the other team had any chance of catching him as he ran the ball all the way back down the field for a 93 yard touchdown.

The packed stands went wild.

The field goal kicker easily scored the extra point.

The team then returned the ball down the field and the Clayton team had time for two unsuccessful plays before the clock ran out.

"Hey, Tay," Liberty called out when the game ended and the team came off the field. "We were all just discussing how that amazing return on an interception deserves celebrating. The team would have lost the game if it weren't for a girl."

Liberty struck a cheerleader pose with one leg off the ground, knee bent, her foot next to her other calf, and one fist straight up in the air with the other fist on her hip. She held the pose while calling out in a loud, syrupy sweet voice, "O. M. G. Girl Power! Yay!"

Taylor almost rolled his eyes at the display, but stopped himself when he felt a happiness stir deep inside him. What's happening to me, he asked himself as his cheeks turned red and butterflys began to well up in his stomach.

"You know coach is gonna take the team for ice-cream, as usual, to celebrate the win, why don't you guys come along," Martin suggested to the group as he approached.

"I'll ask my mom if she'll drive us. That is, if the rest of you can go," Kaylee announced, before Liberty, Elayna, and Steven, Liberty's boyfriend, took off to ask their parents if they could go with the team to celebrate.

It was then that Johnny ran up and gave Martin a high five. He then threw his arms around Taylor in a big bear hug, causing the feelings in Taylor's stomach to intensify and his heart rate to increase.

This physical reaction to Johnny's hug caused Taylor to pull away.

The expression on Martin's face and his body posture quickly changed and began to convey to anyone who might have been watching, that Martin was a bit less than enthusiastic about Johnny coming over, even though Martin thought he was doing his best to not let his feelings show.

"Did you guys hear," Johnny asked. "Coach isn't taking us for ice cream?"

"What?" Taylor and Martin both replied in shocked surprise and disappointment.

"That's not fair," Martin added. "He's not going to celebrate his only female teammate saving the team from what would have been their first defeat? And why? Because a girl saved the team instead of one of the guys?"

"Um no, of course we're going to celebrate," Johnny responded. "And it wouldn't have been our first defeat. We lost the game when our team played against Taylor and the team she used to play for. Remember?"