40. Taylor Stefan(i)

"Sweetheart," Carissa began, Bending down to get eye-level with Taylor when he entered the room. "I just got off the phone with a nurse at the hospital. It was about Craig."

The mention of his brother's name had Taylor nervous over what she might say next, since this was the first time she had even so much as mentioned him in almost two weeks.

Carissa began to explain what the doctor had the nurse relay to her about Craig and how he believed it was time to make a decision about 'pulling the plug.'

"We need to go see him one last time."

"One last time?"

"Yes, sweetie, this'll be the last time we see him."

Taylor suddenly felt a heaviness settle on him and fear gripped his heart.

"Carissa? Why? And what does that mean, 'pulling the plug'?"

Carissa took a seat in the chair behind her and pulled Taylor into her lap.

Placing her arms around Taylor, she explained, "Sweetie, they said he no longer has any brain activity, meaning he's not going to recover. He's not conscious and not breathing on his own. He has no brain activity. The machine is the only thing keeping his body running. Pulling the plug means they turn off the machines."

Tears began to flow down Taylor's cheeks.

"Do you understand what this means," Carissa asked him.

Taylor nodded his head and wrapped his arms around Carissa as more tears flowed.

"It's gonna be okay, princess. I'm here for you," Carissa comforted Taylor while still holding him tight.

Taylor knew full well what this meant. He knew they were going to the hospital to say their final goodbyes to his brother and that Carissa would be his 'mom' now. He was also sure this meant the decision was made, there would be no going back to living as a boy, not for a long time, if ever.

Not that he strongly objected to that. Not anymore.

Since opening up to Astrid, he had just about decided he was ready to accept this life. The only thing really keeping him from giving in and accepting it were his thoughts of Craig recovering and them going back to their home. He was afraid Craig would not be able to accept him deciding to stay a girl and afraid it would destroy the bond between them.

He didn't want to hurt Craig and disappoint him, nor did he want to let go of his strong male connection he had with his brother, their brotherly bond, but now, if Craig was definitely not going to recover, there was nothing left to stop him from choosing to become the girl he had, up until this point been pretending to be.

With Craig gone, it will mean all male influence was now gone from his life and the feminine influence was, well, too strong to keep fighting. Besides, he really was starting to enjoy all the admiration and attention he was being showered with by everyone believing him to be such an amazing football playing girl. And just being a girl wasn't so bad either.. It was actually quite freeing and if he could admit it, rather fun, as well.

"Carissa?"

"Princess, you don't have to call me that, any more. I'd perfer you call me mom . . . Unless you have a problem with that? I would never want you to feel like I'm trying to replace your birth mom, but I will be raising you now, the courts will give me custody, so that does make me a mom to you."

Taylor paused for a moment then spoke again, "Mom?"

It felt weird to say, but he knew he really liked Carissa and if someone else was going to become his mom, he'd want it to be her.