34. Jealousy

"Oh my gawd, girl, you gotta tell me, what happened. We went to play skee ball and when I turned around I saw you and Johnny headed to a dark corner on the other side of the arcade. What happened? He didn't try to kiss you, did he," Kaylee excitedly inquired of Taylor as they headed to the vehicle after saying their goodbyes to everyone.

Immediately, upon hearing the question, a smile involuntarily spread across Taylor's face. He tried to suppress it, to hide the conflicted feelings he was having inside, feelings he wasn't ready for anyone else to know about, but was not entirely successful.

"He did, didn't he," Kaylee gleefully responded.

"No," Taylor quickly replied, but his face continued to betray him.

"Stop lying, he totally did. I can see it in your face."

"I'm not," Taylor shot back, rather loudly.

"You're not what, sweetheart," Carissa asked, overhearing his outburst as he entered the vehicle.

Afraid Kaylee was about to tell her mom what they were talking about, Taylor quickly kicked Kaylee's foot and simultaneously replied, "It's nothing."

"Oh, I saw Astrid at the bowling alley," Kaylee announced to Taylor as her mom started the vehicle.

"I did too, but I didn't get a chance to talk to her with Johnny attached to my hip."

"Yeah, probably the best choice. I did talk to her. She said her mom won't let her attend a sleep over, so she's gonna come over tomorrow and hang out."

"Cool, I guess. Sucks that her mom don't trust her to sleep over, but cool that she gonna hang."

"Maybe it's us she doesn't trus--"

"Did you guys have fun, today?" Carissa asked, interrupting their conversation.

"Yes, ma'am." Taylor replied. "Thank you for letting us bowl and giving us money for arcade games, Ms. Carissa. I had a great time."

"Oh yeah, somebody had a great time alright," Kaylee blurted out.

Taylor punched Kaylee in the leg.

"What are you doing," he whispered through his clinched teeth.

"I bet she did," Carissa agreed, smiling back at Taylor through the rear view mirror. "I saw you at the claw machines with Johnny. You two are just the cutest thing together."

It was true, the two were cute together, but Carissa also had other reasons for complimenting Taylor. She knew she need to encourage her everytime she could in order to reinforce feminine behaviors and help her transition into the girl Carissa not only believed Taylor wanted to be, but she also desperately wanted to see Taylor become.

"Hey, Tay. Did you see how Martin was acting today?" Kaylee asked, sounding like she was trying to change the subject.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he was quiet and acted like something was bothering him."

"What do you mean? Any idea what it could have been?"

"I think he might have been mad at Johnny for something."

"What makes you say that?"

"He kept staring at Johnny with a look on his face."

Taylor swallowed hard when he realized what she was talking about. He had noticed how Martin acted today and had already been wondering what it was about. He had also noticed Martin looking at him a lot, too, and he was pretty sure he knew what was going on. He just wasn't ready to admit it out loud yet.