32. Positive Reinforcement

On Saturday morning, following Taylor's first week in homeschool, he and Kaylee sat in the front yard on a blanket, soaking up sun and hanging out while Kaylee scrolled through TikTok, and Instagram on her phone, sharing posts with Taylor. They were chatting, laughing and having a good time.

"You're so lucky to have your own smartphone, Kaylee. I wish my brother would allow me to have one."

"Why won't he?"

"He says I'm too young and that social media is a bad idea for anyone under the age of sixteen to be involved with."

"Screw that. He's just trying to control you and you shouldn't ever let a man do that. That's what mom tells me, anyways."

Taylor didn't respond to the negative comment about his brother, instead he changed the subject.

"Know what I think? I think Homeschooling is better than public school, even though it's more intense, I love it and I'm learning way more."

"So you really like it?"

"I do, a lot."

"Me too, although I've never been to public school. If it's as bad as I hear, I'm glad I've never been."

"Compared to this, yeah its not cool. You're lucky."

At one point, Kaylee brought up Astrid.

"Hey, I have an idea."

"Yeah, what's that?"

"We should see if Astrid would be interested in a sleepover tonight. What you think?"

"Yeah, that's um, a cool idea I gurss, but don't you think you should ask your mom first, to see if it's okay to have someone else over?"

"Kaylee! Taylor!" Carissa called out, as she exited the front door. "I have a great idea, you guys. I just saw on the TV that the mall is looking for models."

"Okay, and," Kaylee asked, sounding disinterested.

"I think it'd be great for both of you to try out. They're looking for boys and girls, seven to seventeen years old, to model clothes in stores, on posters, in print ads, and on TV. They're conducting interviews tomorrow. Oh, and it pays, too. Now, I was thinking if we get ready and leave in the next hour or so, we'd have time to get each of you a new outfit for the interview before Taylor's game at one. What do you say?"

"That sounds like something Taylor would like more than me, mom. Do I have to?"

Carissa saw this as a great opportunity for Kaylee and Taylor both to immerse themselves in femininity and didn't want to see either of them miss out on something she just knew they'd love, especially Taylor.

"Taylor, sweetie, you'll do it, right? It's a chance to show  everyone you're more than just a  football player, that you can kick ass on the field and be a beautiful, feminine model, too."

"No, I don't think so."

"What? No? Why not," Carissa asked, shocked by Taylor's rejection of an opportunity to do something she was sure he'd jump at. "Not the kind of girl you wanna be? You're gonna pass up on this opportunity?"

A week ago, he would have firmly told her no he didn't want to be a girly girl, but now, with everything that had happened, his thoughts and feelings were becoming less clearly defined.

Sure, he did originally say he didn't want to do it, but he began to second guess his reply, so rather than shut the door on the opportunity to explore something else that might help him figure out what was going on in his mind, he responded with, "I'm not gonna do it by myself, but . . . if Kaylee were to say yes, I might think about doing it with her."