chapter 4 Learning Something Different

As Saku attempts to get his thoughts in order about his mom being the first ice shieldmaiden and his dad being the first ice lord of a Nordic clan, this Soria Ice-Flame just shows up out of the blue and tell him that she is his actual systir from the same generation as him. " When did dad know that I was a mess up, a failure, a freak, a whatever?" She looks at him "Saku, it was your twelve birthday and you were causing a bit of mischief with ten-year-old Vala breaking stuff and you were always so good with axes, you two were throwing them at a dummy and one missed killing a goat the other hit a totem. You got in trouble, Vala didn't, that next day you and she got into a fight over the previous day, when you yelled at her 'you are dead you got me in trouble' Yuka stepped in pushing you two apart. You were old enough to go on raids. Ulfkel, being the head raider took you under his wing on the first few. The last raid though was the one of roughest. After that you kept messing up with everything from dropping horns of mead everywhere to killing livestock, dad was hard on you during your younger days. One day he told you ' boy if you do not stop making a fool of yourself I will put you in the cold for a day' you mocked him which forced his hand, which hurt him I think. You was wanting his attention, anyone's attention but never got it. I tried to give you some, but you were wanting to be involved with Vala you paid no attention to the fact that Ulfkel was beating us, children, because we were not fighting or training the way he wanted us to. That went on for many winters until you had turned fifteen and I was sixteen, I caught word of Ulfkel going to try and take the throne away from dad in a fight to the death and if he didn't accept then he was going to start killing children starting from the eldest first. That night Yuka came up to me before bed and told me 'do not worry about bed tonight, tonight you must take as many kids with you including your brother, and run to the frost lands, the shaman will keep you all safe' I nodded and started gathering as many kids as I could without Ulfkel seeing me. I was able to get twenty at least maybe fifty I'm not sure it was dark. I had just gotten a few of the younger kids when Ulfkel and another guy walked around the corner and saw me with them, he grabbed two, one in each hand, while the other did the same. the kids were crying for me to get them, but were quickly silenced by Ulfkel he then said ' get her and the others if Sauk doesn't want to fight me then I will force the fool.' He came after you brodir and I tackled him to the ground and screamed which woke everyone and I told you to run." Saku sits as if remembering everything she was saying "So Vala and I along with a few others took off to the frost lands?" Soria nodded and continued " Yes brodir after I screamed it scared the hell out of Ulfkel and he took off running holding his ears ' I will be back and you will be the first one to die you banshee sounding witch' that gave me enough time to tell dad what had happened." Saku stops her " Wait a minute! What happened that day when I was out on the hunting party and me being left alone?" Soria looked at him "Huh? Oh, wait! No brodir Ulfkel had a sorceress with him on the last raid and messed up your head which caused you to act up worse. So there was no hunting party, I heard Ulfkel tell Sauk when you all came back from the last raid that you were so messed up that you didn't kill anyone or anything for that matter. He told him that you needed to be kicked out of the clan or exiled, but when Lord Sauk refused to exile you Ulfkel got pissed at him and you. So that's why he was out to get you, Ulfkel made you out to be the biggest failure in Dad's eyes it was stupid." Saku grunted, " Do you know where Ulfkel is now?" Soria shakes her head " Last I heard he was the king, Jarl, or Lord of some new bandit clan that is supposedly sweeping over the lands, so It would not surprise me if he came this way to find you if he did find out you were alive."

Saku grins "Let him! After I found out what had happened from you I am ready now. Creed walks over almost dazed and stumbling around " What is going on?" Saku looks at him laughing " What the hell happened to you?" He replied " Yana! She is crazy for kisses! Oy fay!" while the others around him laughed " Hey! I had to crawl out of there just to get away, at first she pulled me back and I crawled back out stumbling my way down here like I'm drunk off my ass!" Soria gasps " Oh Saku! Before I forget your Landvaettir is a flying Ice-flame banshee and she will screech away all who oppose you!" Saku sighs " Well that makes more sense on why its screech is so damn loud." While they stand around laughing, cutting up and talking Arnora walks up " My kin, may I offer a new batch of mead that I distilled and made myself!" Saku and Soria were the first two up grabbing a horn. Saku looks at them and out of the blue " I want to build a small grave by the shore for Vala so I can say my goodbyes!" They all nod in agreement and begin walking towards the shore where Vala's s boat was set off. Saku begins gathering stones, some white, some gray, some multi-colored. On a few of them, he puts some runes of family, strength, honor, and one that is supposed to keep away bad omens. After he stacked them in a pile Saku puts the runestones around the pile and speaks in his tongue " Farewell systir, I am so sorry I missed your send off to the warriors' hall. May you live among the gods and fight with them in the second end days. Say hello to mom and dad, will you? Skal systir and farewell."