Old man Romanov

Much is not known about his affairs now , as he often keeps to himself . He had no family and not many friends . And the only people he really knew now was the working members of the nuclear plant. He once had a family , long before the great war happened . A soldier he was , Romanov in the great war . A high ranking soldier , not the ones that are in the first line of the trenches . A man behind giving the orders to them . He was a successful army man , a family man . A man with a reputation . And there were parties that occurred toasting to his name . And once they gave him a medal for his great accomplishment , not for his heroics in war , but for rising up the ranks in the army hailing from a small village . The tough battle he faced climbing the ranks and inspiring a lot of people from his village and the neighboring villages to join the army . And now he lives a obscure life , the same tough days he faced a child . And many did wonder what had become of a war hero for a while  . And the truth was only known to his wife . And she did not agree to his decision then to quit the army . She took it so badly that she left him , taking the kids along with her . The rest of the people , they forget about him as time went on . As people usually do . And Romanov did not care all that much  , that people forgot about him . The only real regret that he had was that he never saw his kids ever again . That hurt him even to this day , but the old man Romanov kept telling himself that they would be living such a wonderful life that the mere presence of him would deter their happiness . What people never did realize was that the old man was and still is a very spiritual person . And war would one day or the other get to a spiritual man , there was no escape in that . Romanov never knew about that , or he was too young to think about it . In fact he was too young and naïve to even figure out what war really was . Then , he did not know about the complexities of it . The unnecessary terror in the minds of people and the invaluable loss of a consequential human life to an ultimately inconsequential war . But Romanov ultimately came to know of it all , and when he came to know of it . It hit him so hard he vowed to never put on the uniform ever again . And there was exactly this one moment that could be pinpointed to , where he had this epiphany . 

During the darkest and the gruesome part of the war , when the enemy was not unaware that they were going to lose , and everyone else except the enemy knew that . That they were going to lose . The enemy came in droves with a false bravado that the territory was theirs . And they attacked the trenches in numbers , thousands . Romanov watched the foolishness unfold form afar , and he saw the bullets pierce the soldiers . One after the other , they fell . And to Romanov it was just another day , an unnecessary one . But ultimately just another day . Such was the length of the great war  , that war became their reality . As Romanov watched the attach unfold and he was planning to devise another strategy he began to look closer at the trenches . The first line of defense , it was the very people from his village who became soldiers after getting inspired by him . And his face began to turn somber as one by one they fell . The same soldiers who joined the army because of him .  Romanov withdrew into himself , the whole battlefield tuned blurry . He could not see anything clearly now , just sounds from the battlefield . Suddenly , something turned his gut inside out . Romanov took his gun and charged into the trenched and  jumped into the field . Charging and shooting at the enemy , missing a great many and injuring only a few . And that was all he remembered , but when people asked him , he would say that that last thing he remembered was him devising a new strategy to counter the enemy . And the soldiers who survive would attest otherwise . 

Romanov woke him in the hospital a few days later , there was no severe damage that occurred to him , luckily . As he twitched and rolled his eyes , he saw his wife sitting next to his bed . And the first thing he asked was did we win ? No his wife replied. Clearly we lost . What do you mean ? asked Romanov ? You mean our country ? We are in the brink of a win . She said . But as a family we lost . I do not understand ? said Romanov . I doubt they will take you in now , that was an act of lunacy . She said . I doubt that they will take you in now. What did I do ? asked Romanov . You don't remember asked his wife . No , replied Romanov . Did I do anything wrong asked Romanov , reaching out to his wife hand . His wife held his hands and withdrew into a silence . I just hope they believe you , his wife said . I really do so . Romanov fell back to his bed , still holding her hands