Chapter 20

"Can I come in?"

"I ... sure, yeah, I uh ... why are you here?" I asked, closing the door behind him.

The state of confusion that I'm in right now is a little perplexing. I was all in my book, then the door, and I expected to see my brother but no. I was not expecting Dom at all. In my mind, he was gonna stay home, his home, and have at it with the attention whore.

"You left and I wanted to make sure that you were okay." He said, standing in front of me.

"I'm fine, leaving is what I'm best at. Ask Vince himself."

"That's not fair to you or him." Dom scolded.

"That still doesn't answer the big question I asked. Why are you here?"

"I wanted to make sure that you're okay." He repeated.

"I'm fine I don't know what you're worried about."

"Possible homicide." He smiled his crinkly eye smile and it got me all tangled up in that thing in the chest cavity.

"Nah, I'm not that kind. I would kick her ass for disrespecting me but never for a man. Sorry Toretto, if that's the kind of woman you're into, I'm not the one." I told him.

"That's not what I'm interested in or looking for."

"Okay, I'll cave, what are you looking for, Toretto? What exactly are you interested in?"

"I've settled for easy before because it was exactly that, easy. Nothing serious, pretty girls with nothing to say with the exception of Letty. I have realized lately that I realized something was missing."

"You got a lot on your mind, Dom." I said.

"Yeah, even as a teenager I looked at the pretty over the substance and then you made yourself known to me."

"We grew up together, Dom." I argued, smiling.

"Yeah but I noticed you in middle school and you ignored me, then high-school when you started racing, it was more obvious. You were, are, smarter than your average female racer. I knew then that I wanted more than just a racer chaser with a pretty face but an empty mind. Couldn't really do anything about it out of respect for your brother and the fact that you didn't pay me any mind at all also factors in. Then I thought that racer chasers are all that a guy like me gets." He sighed.

"That's not fair, why would you have to settle for less?" I argued in earnest this time.

"I'm not the smartest bulb in the bunch, Destiny. I didn't finish ..."

"I already know about all of your accolades, get to the part that somewhere, somehow states that you deserve less because of them because I'm not seeing it."

"Look around, Tiny."

"Enough of that from you." I stated.

"Yeah, okay, well after you left there really wasn't another that compared so I settled for what was around me. That's where the situation with Letty started and now that you're back, I want more. I want it with you. I would like a chance to give us a chance." He said.

"Dom ..."

"Listen, if you're not interested I understand that and ..."

"I'm interested." I interrupted.

"I hoped you'd say that." He smiled. "Are we still on for our date tomorrow?"

"Yeah, we are." I smiled.

"Good, that's really good." He sighed in relief.

"Is that really why you came by?" I asked, pulling my glasses off and combing through my hair.