Chapter 40

A/N: Because Des and Dom are heavily in the lead with the polls!!

"Explain what? Go ahead, Dominic." I smiled, sitting back.

"Destiny ..."

"No, go ahead, you said you were gonna explain."

"Baby, I'm sorry." he sighed.

"For what?"

"All of this, you deserve better and I'm tired of putting you in danger."

"That's bullshit and you know it. What really happened?"

"He gave me an out and I didn't take it. Destiny, I want to give you everything that you deserve and I can't do that if I'm on the run." he said.

"I don't care about what you can give me." I argued.

"I know and that doesn't help. Baby I want us to have everything, I want to make you happy and give you everything that you want." he sighed, taking my hand.

"I want you and that's it. Why can't that be enough?"

"Because it's not, not for me Tiny. I'm tired of running."

"Why the hell didn't you call me?" I asked.

"How am I supposed to tell you that I let you down?"

"I swear to God, I'm gonna kill you Toretto." I sighed.

"We'll figure this out, I promise."

"What exactly are you expecting out of this? What the hell is Brian supposed to do for you?"

"He's putting in a good word and that should carry some weight with the judge." he said.

"And you believe that's gonna work?"

"I'm hoping it does."

"God damn it, Dominic, you know nothing ever goes according to plan when he's involved. Why the hell would you trust him with something as delicate as your fucking freedom?"

"I didn't want to put your freedom at risk by running again. Last time there was no reason for them to go looking for you but if someone saw us together this time, that's it for you." he said.

"I don't care, why don't you see that?"

"I do see that and that's why I care. I refuse to put you in that kind of situation. You can still go around, you can move around as you please without getting caught up because of me. I am trying to protect you." he said.

"Baby ..." I sniffled.

"You are the most important person to me and I have to do whatever I can to protect you no matter what that means I have to do. We'll figure this out, I promise." he said.

"I'll see what I can do." I whispered.

"What have you done?" he asked, a smile on his face.

"I gave you visitor rights so that I could berate you in jail for being an idiot."

"I didn't expect any less from you." he laughed.

"Dom ..."

"I love you, wife. We will figure this out, I promise."

"Backup plan?" I whispered.

"Yeah, we're gonna need one. What did you have in mind?" he asked, making me smile.

"Well, that all depends on ..."

We spoke for about 45 minutes, the full amount of time that we could get to plan something. As soon as I left, I started to think of how to get what we needed to put any of the plans in motion. Mia called me and asked me to stop by the house and I debated, I really did. It's probably petty to be holding onto this grudge after so many years but I can't help it. They never apologized to Vince and I'm not over how they treated him.