Chapter 43

"Really? You're not just being a good husband?"

"I mean, I try to be that every day but I do think it's a good idea and I know that you miss him. I know that you two miss each other. We can call him later on and check in to see if it's a good idea and if he has the space for us." he said, rubbing my arm.

"You know, I came back expecting to spend as much time with him as possible and we only got a few months together. Then another couple of years separate, I really do miss him." I sniffled.

"I know and I'm sorry." he sighed.

"It's not your fault." I told him.

"It is though, had I not insisted on going on that last job we could've all been in LA still and Letty would be alive and you wouldn't be on the road hiding again and Mia wouldn't be on the road."

"Wait, what does any of that have to do with Letty?" I asked.

"She went to work with Brian to clear my name so I could go home. She died on that job with Braga because she wanted to bring me home." he told me, rubbing his hands over his face.

"Oh baby ... I'm so sorry." I said, walking over to sit on his lap and wrapping my arms around his neck.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and laid his head on my shoulders. This man carries so much guilt over everything; Jakob, me, Letty, Mia. It's too much for one person to carry no matter how strong he wants to be.

"Why are you sorry?"

"Because I didn't realize just how heavy that weight was on your shoulders. You are not to blame for any of it. The job? Any of them could have said no, at any point. Letty did what she wanted to do, you didn't ask her to do that. Mia insisted on being a part of this, you didn't ask her to do it and I pushed to make her mad enough that she wouldn't want to but she chose to work this job. Me? Baby, where you go, I go. We're not done Toretto, not by a long shot. You can't hold yourself responsible for other people's actions and I won't let you. Worry about what you can change, not what's already happened."

"What did I do to deserve you?" he asked, cupping my face in his hands.

"You loved me, you accepted me and all my crazy, you showed me what real love looks like. I love you, Dominic Toretto, no matter what, ride or die. Now, let's plan some backups in case Brazil is a bust." I smiled.

"Yeah, let's do that." he smiled too, pressing his lips to mine.

"Okay, so what do you want to do?" I asked him.

"Let's call V first." he chuckled.

"Yeah, that makes sense." I said, getting off of his lap to grab my phone.

Dom pulled me on his lap again when I grabbed my phone and I put it on speaker to talk to V.

"Hey, are you okay? What's going on?"

"Yeah, we're good, just trying to figure out what's next." I told him.

"Hey V." Dom said.

"Hey brother, she takin care of herself?" my brother asked.

"I'm fine." I quickly stated.

"A lack of sleep that we're taking care of, other than that she's good." Dom smiled.

"Sleep has never been your forte. So, what's good? What's next?"

"We were thinking of heading up your way." I smiled.

"No shit, you're coming to Brazil?" he happily asked.

"Yeah, my wife misses her brother and Brazil seems like a nice place to hide for the time being." Dom added.