Chapter 14: The Girl Who Laughs

(In a stairwell stands a boy in red with a staff and cape and a blond girl in black and purple. They are waiting for someone...)

Red Robin: As a reception area, this place needs a lot of work.

(The two hear footsteps on the landing above. They look up to see Bruce.)

Bruce: Stephanie, Tim... thanks for coming on short notice.

Spoiler: You're lucky we found a sitter.

(As the two walk up the flight, Bruce presses a square in the wall, opening an elevator. The three get in and ride it down to an old abandoned Gotham Subway platform. As they exit, Bruce explains:)

Bruce: My great-grandfather built the original Gotham Underground. But, these days...it's the Batcave. (They walk to a large bank of computers and monitors) And this... is Brother Eye.

Red Robin: More like the Eye of Sauron. Surveillance hub?

Bruce: More than that. A communications hub linking every satellite and server on the planet. (walks over to a chair facing away) It warns us when trouble's coming and guides us when trouble's here.

Spoiler: Must take a real genius to operate...

(The chair spins around to show Daniel and Harley Quinn)

H. Quinn: I dunno about "genius", but I do got a PhD. (blows gum bubble, then gets up and hugs Black Canary) Stephanie! Stephanie's bird hubby! You sure came a long way...

Red Robin: (smiling nervously) A world away

Red Robin: (smiling nervously) A world away. But the change of scenery is nice.

Spoler: I was surprised you called, Bruce

Spoler: I was surprised you called, Bruce. Things seem to be going well. So what's up?

Daniel: Dismantling the Regime created gaps in global security. We're covering them where we can, but we're stretched thin. Vulnerable. Harleen, show them what you found.

H. Quinn: Right-o, darling. (sits back down and accesses Brother Eye) Otto Octavius, everyone's favorite villain Doctor Octopus. He's got himself a band of bozos. Calls 'em "the Society".