C H A P T E R 12

THE HMS POGUE

"𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍 𝐁, you're gonna fall," Kie complained, as Pope turned the engine of the boat off, in the middle of the marsh. The sun was hitting very hard on us but the fresh wind released our sore skins from it.

We were now all gathered on the HMS Pogue, their boat, which wasn't really a Kook type of boat or a yacht like Ward Cameron owned. It was in fact smaller, but much better and less fancy. It didn't erase the fact things had rarely been more awkward between JJ and I than in this moment. Ever since our kiss from the precedent day, we didn't really exchange a conversation, just a few words, and I had to admit it was pretty confusing.

"No I'm not, I'm a cautious man," the boy contradicted.

I laughed and stood up, walking to him slowly not to fall myself. "You sure you're not gonna fall?" I teased.

"No Sam, don't fucking push m-" he turned around to look at me and tried to balance as I pushed him in the water and he dragged me in with him, laughing.

"John B!" I screamed in fear and surprise.

I resurfaced a few seconds later, grabbing the ladder, and I looked all around me. "Where are my sunglasses?" I inquired.

"Eh, I'm afraid they sank down the marsh water princess," Pope stated and I rolled eyes making my way back on the boat.

"Well thanks John B, these were my favorites"

"Well it's not like you couldn't afford new ones," JJ snapped and I rolled eyes.

We all sat on the boat and opened a beer, enjoying the sun hitting on our tanned-skins. I stole JJ's cap to put it on my head and release my blue eyes from the bright sun. "So tell us, Sam," Kie started saying smiling warmly, "what had you so busy you couldn't hang out with us yesterday?"

"Was it a boy thing?" Pope laughed saying it and I rolled eyes again.

I shared an eye contact with JJ that didn't last long and focused back on the others. "No I was just busy helping my mom with a few things," I lied.

"I was busy too, you're just fine," Pope responded.

I grabbed a blunt, put it between my lips and lighted it up. I inhaled it and the feeling I loved so much grew inside of me, setting me free. I closed my eyes to enjoy the feeling even more, and before I got the chance to re open them, John B's voice dragged me out of my thoughts.

"You're pretty busy," the boy stated. "First you disappear, doing we all know what at the party, and then you can't hang out with us? let me confess I have a few doubts on your sincerity"

I almost choked on the blunt and looked at JJ. So apparently, he didn't tell them at all about what had happened, and I was so glad he kept it secret I would have kissed him, spur of the moment. But I kept my lips for myself, and mumbled the only few syllables I managed to get out of my mouth.

"No, we were together at the party, I was teaching her beer pong," JJ lied, smiling proudly.

"You were together, not throwing insults at each other's face?" Kie clapped in her hands enthusiastically.

"Yeah, I won beer pong though," I replied.

"No you didn't!" he started to contradict and rolled eyes in defeat, as if he didn't want to argue no more.

We kept laughing, smoking and drinking for a few hours, until the sun started to set. I started realising they meant a lot to me, and I appreciated how they didn't put me aside but included me every single time they could.