C H A P T E R 31

LAST CARD

𝐌𝐘 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 didn't stop rolling down my cheeks when I stepped in my room, they actually even flooded more. I was positive my parents could hear me, but everything around me was packed, so I knew nothing would change their mind, we were leaving.

I screamed in my pillow, just the thought of my boyfriend breaking my heart into pieces. As I tried to stay silent, my parents voices reached my ears. "It will be complicated but Ward needs us for his business, he won't give up on us," my mother stated.

"You don't know that, Gen. We don't mean a lot to him if we're so far away, we need new partners," my father snapped anxiously, and I knew his business with the rich man meant a lot to him. "And I highly doubt we can find any"

I heard my mother sighing and my father went ahead. "Maybe we can convince Sam to stay in touch with Rafe, that would help. He likes her a lot and I really like having her around him. It's safer for everyone"

My mother stayed quiet for a few seconds, as she was on the other side of the wall, I couldn't see her facial expressions. "I love that kid too, but I feel bad for using my daughter for business"

And that's when it came to me.

I couldn't decide whether it was the best or the worst idea that ever came to me, but I followed my instincts. I swung open the window and sneaked out, before running away quickly.

⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂

I was so anxious when I reached the huge mansion that I was sure my heart would explode. I knew I was crazy and would regret doing it as soon as I would step in, but here I was. Because if I had even just one percent chances this would work, I couldn't miss this opportunity, as scary as it was.

I stepped in the house through the cellar's small door that was never locked and quietly made my way to the stairs. I climbed them and even though my entire body was shaking, I walked along the corridor without changing my mind or running away. I didn't overthink it, I opened Rafe Cameron's bedroom's door and walked in.

He was laying in his bed, which was pretty normal since it was 4 am. He didn't hear me so I turned the lights off and he groaned, before opening his eyes. "God, Wheezie what are you doing?" he demanded, sleepily.

It took some time for his eyes to adapt to the brightness of the sudden light and when he noticed me, as I was miserably crying in front of him, he sat up. "Sam?"

"Hi Rafe," I whispered, sobbing.

I wiped my tears away and he ran his hand through his hair, very confused, and I could understand, honestly. "Wh- what the fuck?"

He got up from his bed, which revealed his muscular naked torso and he started walking to me and this time I didn't push him away. As much as I hated and feared him, I needed him.

"You said you'd always be there for me? You love me don't you?" I sobbed and he kept getting closer.

His big hands softly covered my forearms and caressed my skin, which made me want to throw up but I didn't forget the reason why I was here. "I'm crazy about you, Samarah"

"You know I'm leaving, right?" I explained and his hands trailed up and down my arms, tickling my skin.

"Yeah, your parents told mine," he voiced.

He probably thought I wanted to say goodbye or tell him I accepted his apologies before leaving but he'd soon understand it wasn't why I was there at all. "If you love me, then I need you to do something for me, please," I begged, tears escaping my eyes.

"Anything for you," he mumbled.

I sighed and looked away, as his hands were now playing with mine. I hated this proximity and his touch reminded me of our past, and those weren't good memories. "Convince my parents to stay here. I don't care how, but only you can change their mind," I said.

He frowned a little like he didn't understand and started kissing my hands, which was my last straw. The contact of his lips on my skin burned me and I pulled away. "Why would I do that? What's in it for me?" he asked.

I laughed ironically and clapped a single time in my hands, taken aback. How could he ask me this after ruining my life?

"Don't you think it's the least you could do after treating me the way you did, last year?" I spat out, angrily. I didn't want to show him I was scared. "Or are you still the same asshole?"

He clenched his jaw and chuckled, before sitting on his bed and patting for me to sit next to him. I looked at him before sitting next to him and looking down, holding my own hands.

"I'd actually like you in Hawaii more, Walker. I mean, go ahead, be happy with someone else but at least don't make me witness what I missed," he shrugged, like it was a better option to him.

"You didn't miss it, you ruined it," I corrected quietly so I wouldn't wake everyone. "I wasn't in love with you but I would have given you a chance if you weren't a psychopath"

He stayed quiet and looked at me over his shoulder, but I kept looking at my feet, pretending I didn't see him. I couldn't deny he looked hot, shirtless, with messy hair, but he wasn't attractive to me. "If I do it then you owe me something. Just one tiny thing," he said and I frowned.

"What? you want drugs?" I scoffed.

"Let me kiss you a last time. Just so I can taste what we tasted on the beach that day," he stated and I got up. "I miss your lips, I miss your tongue against m-"

I slammed the palm of my hand on his cheek and he got up too, looking down at me, like he wanted me to regret what I had just did. But I didn't. He was an asshole and deserved it. "Not even in your dreams," I spat out.

"You wish you didn't just slap me," he threatened with his tone and his hand trailed up my throat. "Not so rebellious now huh?"

It felt like he was going to tighten his grip around it but he didn't. I saw in his gaze he wanted to, he wanted to hurt me, to kill me maybe. But he unwrapped his fingers from around my neck like the nicest part of him had taken over his soul for a second.

"I hate you, Rafe," I sobbed, not looking away from his eyes. "I was the only girl who ever liked you for who you were and look where we are now"

He nodded like he didn't care and opened the door for me to get out. I sobbed more and he grabbed my arm as I made my way in the dark and empty corridor.

"Have a nice flight back, Samarah"

⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂

On the way home, I couldn't tell if the blurriness of the landscapes was due to how tired I was or my tears, but even the waves seemed unreal.

I cried because the very last hope I had was ruined, and Rafe didn't realise the impact he had on my life. My parents would have listened to him for sure. My father liked him better than me, he trusted and cared for him more.

That night, I walked along the beach, the sound of the crashing waves relaxing my ears. I remembered so many memories, in those waves, so many surfing sessions, and laughs.

I knew I would never forget any of those things, because they were linked to my friends and to JJ. To the only man who ever made me feel like I was enough.

I had loved him unconditionally and he had never stopped showing me how important I was to his eyes. He didn't have much, in his life, but he would have given me the moon. He had always cared for me, through all the stages of our relationship.

And I had never loved a boy this much either. He had changed my way to see relationships, and most of all had made me realise my parent's relationship was exactly what I didn't want. 

JJ Maybank was perfect, for me. But maybe we were just meant to live happily ever after in another universe. Saying goodbye to the love of my life was so painful I stopped hiding my sobs in my throat and screamed in pain through the empty alleys.

So those waves were more than just waves to me. They reminded me of my love for him, of a love mixed with blunts, joy, wax and tears even the ocean would remember.