C H A P T E R 16

STRESSFUL MEETING

𝐈 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 and rushed downstairs excitedly. My heart was beating so fast, I could hear it in my ear drums. Anxiety bubbled in my stomach, but this time, it was good stress, I could feel it.

I opened the front door slowly and smiled at my handsome boyfriend, holding a bunch of flowers in his left hand. He was wearing a white shirt with blue jeans and had fixed his hair so they'd be a little less messy.

"Hi handsome," I spoke as I kissed his lips slowly, my arms wrapped around his neck and he smiled through the kiss.

"Hi love"

I smiled and adjusted the collar of his shirt more properly. Damn, he was adorable and so good looking.

"Do you think your mother will like me?" he asked anxiously, looking behind me like he wanted to make sure she wasn't coming. But she was.

I didn't even have time to reply my mother arrived in the entrance and walked to us, a wild smile on her face.

"JJ, darling! come on in," she welcomed him enthusiastically and he smiled softly before stepping in my house.

"Hello," he shyly spoke.

"You got my daughter flowers? what a gentleman," my mother said, looking at the bunch of flowers he had in his hand.

I laughed rolling eyes because she was probably making him uncomfortable, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

"Actually, those flowers are for you, ma'am," he handed her the flowers and my heart melted.

"Oh really? thank you so much," she grabbed the flowers and pulled my boyfriend in a warm hug. "And please, call me Genevieve"

We all walked in the living-room and sat around the small table. I loved how my mom had prepared everything as if we were inviting the president. She had lighted up candles, on a white tablecloth, with several types of forks and knives I had never seen before. I looked at JJ and as my mom walked into the kitchen, I kissed his cheek. "You got my mother flowers? thank you so much," I voiced softly.

"Of course, I impressed the daughter, let's hope I impress the mother now," he said.

"Who said you ever impressed the daughter?"

We laughed along and I could see he was a bit anxious so I held his hand from under the table as we were sitting next to each other, rubbing it slowly. My mom came back, sat in front of us and I felt him holding my hand tighter.

"I hope it didn't take you too long to walk here, where do you live exactly on Figure-Eight?" my mother asked, causing him to stop staring at me and look at her.

"Mom, he lives on the Cut, I told you already," I sighed softly.

"Oh right sorry," she grabbed JJ's plate and gave him some of the ratatouille I had spent the whole afternoon cooking.

"It's fine, and I actually just live a few minutes away from Figure Eight so it went okay," he spoke and I knew it was a lie, he just didn't want to admit he had walked half an hour to get here.

"I can't believe my daughter got herself a boyfriend," she said out of nowhere and I laughed.

"Why would you say that? I'm not a monster!" I contradicted.

"Well your mother is right, sometimes I wonder why I accepted to be your boyfriend," the blonde boy joked.

"Accepted?" I laughed ironically, slapping his arm gently. "You're the one who started the whole boyfriend and girlfriend thing"