C H A P T E R 15

PRESENT

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 with my friends, JJ dropped me home and I couldn't wait to tell my mom about it all. How did I get myself JJ Maybank? I could still hear him calling me stupid or even worse, and now he was calling me his girlfriend.

I opened the front door, and rushed in the living-room. My mother was sitting on the sofa, watching tv, and she smiled at me as she saw me.

"Hi baby," she softly greeted.

"Hi mom, how are you?" I asked sitting next to her.

"Good, I had the best night yesterday," she stated.

I decided not to talk about what had happened in the morning because I didn't want more tensions created between us. "Oh really?"

"Yeah, I had dinner at the Cameron's," she explained, which didn't surprise me.

"Oh that's great," I faked.

She cupped my cheeks and kissed my nose, softly. "They told me about this amazing summer party they're having in a few days, that gathers all the island at their place. It's called Midsummers," she announced.

"So it's kind of like a summer solstice retreat," I said, referring to what we had in Hawaii, not knowing what it was really.

"Yeah, kind of. But it's an important celebration here and you know you're supposed to go there with someone," she announced tilting her head to the side excitedly.

I smiled, because it was the perfect moment to tell her I had a boyfriend. I was about to talk when she kept going on.

"And I was thinking maybe you could go with Rafe Cameron. Actually he's the one who offered," she said. "But don't tell him I told you"

"What? no I'm not going with Rafe mom," I argued, laughing because it was absurd. We weren't in the 18th century, parents didn't choose their kid's partner.

"Why not? you two really like each other," she kissed my cheek gently.

"No," I contradicted. "We used to, but we're not friends or whatever we used to be, anymore"

She shrugged innocently. "Maybe you could pretend just for one night," she offered.

"No, I'm not doing this. Plus, I've got a boyfriend who could take me," I said smiling, proud to announce it to her.

"You've got a boyfriend?" she asked sternly, which had me anxious. "How come didn't I meet him yet?"

We both laughed and she pulled me in a warm hug. "My baby has a boyfriend," she repeated softly, smiling.

"Can he go with me to Midsummers, instead of Rafe?" I pleaded, biting my lower lip. "Please mom"

She pulled away from the hug and hesitated for a second. "I don't know the boy, I'd like you with Rafe more this year, it's safer"

I looked at her frowning, not understanding her state of mind. How could she do this to me? "Mom, it's either I'm going with JJ or I'm not going, you still have a choice here"

"Okay fine," she cut me off, "but I have to meet him first"

⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂ ⁂

I woke up early the next morning, excited by the idea of seeing JJ. I put on a green open shirt above my white swimsuit and a pair of jean shorts.

I had a feeling today would be a great day. The air was hot, waves looked huge, wind blew in my hair, what was missing? a hot boyfriend? I had him.