C H A P T E R 23

SAFE WITH HIM

SAFE WITH HIM

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄 when I heard my window opening and saw someone struggling to make his way in my room. My heartbeat fastened and I bit my lip anxiously, staring at the figure a few meters away from me.

"Who's there?" I asked, sitting on my bed and curling up in a ball, scared.

I saw the silhouette walking closer so I grabbed the knife stashed under my bed and held it close to me. You're never too cautious. "It's me, it's JJ, aren't you sleeping my love?" he spoke.

My eyes went wide and I turned on the lamp on my nightstand so it wouldn't hurt my eyes too much since it wasn't so bright. Except something else hurt my eyes. I put the knife back under my bed and looked at my boyfriend, the man I loved most on Earth.

"Holy shit," I muttered.

He was fully covered in bruises and blood. I placed my hand on my mouth and gasped, not believing what my eyes were seeing was true. I had seen him bruised and hurt before, but it was another kind of hurt. It was like he had been destroyed.

What surprised me at first, was how peaceful he looked. His facial expressions were normal, he looked more concerned about why I wasn't sleeping than the amount of blood dripping off his nose.

"Why are you holding a knife? and why aren't you asleep? it's like 3 am," he asked me, concerned.

"JJ, what happened to you?" my voice cracked and he grabbed a tissue to wipe the blood off his nose, before joining me.

He took his shirt off, which revealed more bruises and he took my face in his hands, cupping my cheeks. He looked at me like I was the most precious thing in his life, and it broke me.

"I had to do something baby," he kissed my forehead softly, closing his eyes, "Rafe will never ever hurt you again, I swear"

"JJ, what did you do?" I asked, a tear rolling down my cheek. "Tell me"

"Don't cry please, you're safe with me," he said, pulling me in a warm hug. "And don't worry, he's alive"

"I'm not worried about him, I'm worried about you JJ, what if he comes back for us? what if he hits harder?" I asked, frightened.

"He won't. Now won't you tell me why you have a knife under your bed?" he asked me again.

I laughed and wiped my last tears away, as I started to breathe more normally and be less anxious. "Not everyone has muscles to protect themselves from bad guys Mr Maybank"

He laughed loud and hugged me tighter. "So you were about to stab me?" he smirked.

"Mhm, be careful next time," I teased.

He laughed and kissed my lips, which made me feel so good. After spending a few hours worrying about him, his lips on mine were the best anti-stress. We laid on my bed, not breaking the kiss, hoping it would last forever. He kissed me more and more passionately, his hands trailing on my thighs since my shorts were revealing my skin.