C H A P T E R 17

MIDSUMMERS

MIDSUMMERS

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐖 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 since JJ had met my mother and things had gone very well. Life started to make sense slowly, like I felt finally home. Regrets had been replaced by nostalgia and my boyfriends kisses only made present feel better.

I had gone shopping with Kiara to find her Midsummers dress, surfed with Pope or John B, and had done many other things with my boyfriend.

Today was the day, Midsummers day. So my mother had insisted on us getting ready together and I thought it was very cute so I had agreed. So I started getting ready in my bedroom, putting on the beautiful dress JJ had given me, some cute earrings. I put some pale brown powder on my eyes and added mascara on my lashes before brushing my hair and letting them down. JJ liked them that way.

I was actually very worried and anxious, that it was all happening at the Cameron's, but I didn't want to show it. I had not met Rafe ever since he had drugged me and I honestly didn't feel the need to see his face.

I heard a knock on my door, which dragged me out of my thoughts and I saw my mother getting in, with her incredibly pretty blue dress. "Mom you're beautiful," I voiced.

"Honey," she hugged me and we both looked at each other in the mirror of my room. "You're even prettier, look at you"

I smiled at her and we both walked downstairs. JJ was supposed to meet me at the Cameron's which caused me to pressure my mother to speed up a little. I just couldn't wait to see him and kiss him again. We had seen each other on the precedent day but saying I missed him would have been an understatement. He was in my mind all the time, filling my thoughts with happy scents and memories.

What we had done, on the night he met my mother, and even the following nights, had only brought us closer. He had erased all my fears and worries, by showing him how much of a good man he was and how loved I was.

We made our way to Midsummers, and I was so excited I forgot about all my worries. Only my friends and JJ mattered. I looked through the open window, at all the palm trees on the side of the road, and closed my eyes to the soft feeling of the wind on my face.

I had insisted on walking to the Cameron's mansion, to make Kiara proud I was protecting the planet, but my mom had rejected my offer. She didn't want to walk ten minutes with high heels on, so I had given up eventually.

There were so many people I couldn't even count, the place was crowded with fancy people wearing fancy clothes. My mom started talking with some people she had apparently met downtown, so I walked away from her and started looking for my best friends.

I saw JJ, standing alone, so I decided to go and surprise him. As he was looking towards the crowded garden, I walked slowly behind him. I stood a few meters away from him, behind him, crossed my hands on my chest and cleared my throat.