C H A P T E R 24

REDEMPTION?

REDEMPTION?

𝐈 𝐓𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 my mom under the covers and made sure she was still asleep before leaving her bedroom.

I was tired of always being the one taking care of her, but maybe I was too weak to tell her how I felt. And I didn't want her to think I didn't care. So I knew I'd keep quiet about it forever and deal with her addiction like I always did.

I showered, got dressed and sat on the sofa, grabbing a book. I read a few pages, taking my mind off my mother's actions. I didn't read that often, but I loved to forget about everything else and focus on something different. My bookshelf was filled with amazing books I had read, at least twice.

And I had insisted on taking with me all of them when we moved from Hawaii, because they were a bright side of my past. As I was focused on the written sentences, a knock on the front door got me out of my thoughts. I walked to the door and opened it, which allowed me to see who had disturbed me.

I discovered Rafe Cameron, looking like a complete different man than the one I knew. He looked hurt, even more than JJ had been.

As my eyes laid on his black eye and bruised jaw, I didn't feel any pity for him. I was glad he had suffered more than my boyfriend, even if it was a horrible way to think.

I was glad JJ had destroyed him physically, because I wanted him to suffer like I had, that night. "Sam, hey, can we talk please?" he asked me, running his hand in his messy hair. "Is your mother home?

It took me a little while to think of an answer, because I wanted anything but letting him in.
After searching for the right words to use and not finding them, I stepped back and slammed the door at his face. I locked it and sat down on the floor, my back against it.

"Sam, please," he said behind the door, quite desperately. "I won't hurt you alright?"

I pressed my hand on my lips so I wouldn't let out, even accidentally, any noise, and he punched the door. I jumped in scare and closed my eyes."Samarah, please, don't ignore me I can't stand it anymore. I need you," he begged through the closed door.

All the images of the horrible night kept coming back in my head and he punched his fist against the door again. I started shaking, scared of him, wishing with all I had he wouldn't wake my mother up.

"I remember every second spent with you, that summer. It was the best of my life, I had never been so happy and so loved by anyone, before"

I heard him sobbing a little, so I figured he was crying and it made me realise I was too. I wiped a tear away off my cheek but many others followed.

"I'm sorry, for what I did to you. It was horrible and I'll never forgive myself for that. I still hear your sobs and cries every night and it's killing me," he apologised.