C H A P T E R 29

DADDY ISSUES

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 of something slightly moving against the palm of my hand woke me up, as the beeping sound escaping the cardioscope accelerated.

My eyes laid on my mother and they filled up with tears when I noticed her eyes slowly opening. I let go of her head and hurried towards her. "Mom? mom are you awake? can you hear me?" I asked.

She smiled softly and nodded, this small movement making me feel so much better. After spending a whole night asleep on my knees, holding her cold hand, seeing her smiling like this was like a reward. She was it.

I hugged her tight and kissed her cheek so many times, letting her know how much I had been scared and worried about her state.

"Hi honey, I'm a little confused right now, I have to admit," she answered quietly and I heard JJ getting up from the armchair he had been sleeping in behind me.

"You're okay mom now, you drank too much, but it's going to be okay, I'm going to help you," I reassured her.

"We are going to help you," JJ corrected, making his way behind me and holding me by the hips.

My mother smiled at us warmly and as she was about to answer, without even knocking on the door before entering, my father walked in. He was on the phone, talking so loud I was sure the patients on the room next to us heard him.

"Yeah, I just arrived so I'll- holy shit," his eyes laid on my mom and he ended his phone call before hurrying towards her bed, hustling JJ on the way, not sure whether it was accidental or not.

"Hi Steve," my mother smiled warmly and her eyes filled up with brightness.

He leaned over and kissed her slowly, as I exchanged an awkward eye contact with JJ. I liked how he made my mother happy but it was not okay I had to witness this outburst of hapiness.

"We're going to wait outside to give you two some privacy," JJ softly voiced, holding my hand.

I wanted to snap something at my father's face but I figured it wasn't the right timing and JJ guided us outside of the room so my discomfort could subside a little.

After he closed the door, I jumped in his arms and he chuckled, holding me tight. His arms relieved all the tensions and I finally smiled, after such a long day and a long night of crying.

"I'm so happy JJ, she's okay," I stated even though I didn't know if she was really fine.

All I knew was she was conscious, and it was a great start. "Me too Sam, I'm glad she woke up"

I pulled away from his warm embrace and kissed his rosy lips softly, smiling against them, forgetting about all things that could have made me sad. He kissed me back, tasting my happiness on my tongue, not caring that we were in the hallway of a crowded hospital.

Suddenly a thought popped up in my head, and it ruined everything. I felt my outburst of joy fading away, and maybe my boyfriend felt it too. "What's wrong?" he asked me.

I backed away from him and ran my hand through my hair, before twirling them around my finger, like I used to do when I was anxious as a kid. "Do you think they'll take her to a rehab center?" I asked him.

"Well it's a possibility yeah, but that would help her fighting her add-"

"No!" I immediately broke in. "I can't stay alone with my father! They won't take her away from me," I selfishly argued even though JJ wasn't the one taking the decision.

He placed both of his hands on my shoulders and kissed my forehead softly to reassure me. As he was about to answer, my mother's room's door opened and my father headed out of it.