[1] Turnabout Artistry

"H-hello...?"

"Gavin and Co. Law Offices, how may I help you?"

"Yes, well... I'd like to hire an attorney?"

"Certainly, please give me a moment to find one for you."

"..."

"Good news, our best attorney, Kristoph Gavin is available for the week. Would you like to schedule a meeting with him?"

"Gavin...? Yes, that would be good. I'll give you my location."

----

[11:00 AM - District Court - Courtroom No. 3]

"Court is now in session for the trial of [F/N]." The judge announces, he looks as if he should be retired by now but his spirit is still strong. His head tilts downwards from his high bench and slightly to his left, directing to the gentleman sporting a cravat and red suit.

"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor," the man nods, noticeably spiking his sharp side bangs downwards. Is his hair grey or black? This man radiates an alarming aura that makes anyone cautious around him.

Another sound is made from the opposite side of the room, "the defense is ready as well, Your Honor." This time by a blonde man with glasses. His hair was long enough to be twisted to the left and he wears a blue suit with a slight purple hue, a bit polar opposite from what the prosecution was wearing which also applies to himself as a whole.

He seems nicer, more gentle than the other. More sense of trust and calm yet confidence just by a single sentence.

The judge continues, "therefore we will begin now. Prosecutor Edgeworth, you may begin with your opening statement." After ruffling some papers, the man in the red overcoat, known as Edgeworth, begins informing.

"Thank you, Your Honor. The murder occurred in the art studio where the defendant, [L/N], resides at. The victim, Amy Stake, was discovered dead at 9:28 this morning in the freezer of the residence, interfering with figuring out the time of death. However, the forensics team at the site confirmed the cause of death to be a blunt force to the back of the head causing trauma."

He continues, "The detective working on the case has decided to arrest the defendant based on the heavy amount of evidence against them."

The defense attorney listens. His posture remains calm and collected as if he has nothing to worry about. Contrary to the prosecution who rests his arms on his back.

The judge nods, "I see. Thank you, Prosecutor Edgeworth. Mr. Gavin, you may begin." He looks towards Kristoph, who nods with a smile.

"Thank you, Your Honor. First of all, I would like to say concerning the evidence, the murder occurred in the studio where they both lived therefore it is no odd to discover overwhelming traces of evidence pointing towards my client," He calmly said.

He is correct, the only people living there are only [Y/N], Amy, and their roommate.

The prosecution snickers as he shakes his head, "that may be the case for all three of them, however, allow me to present this evidence." Edgeworth pulls up an image of a wooden plank, maybe around 3 feet long, and handed it to the judge.

"This is a wooden plank taken from a panel on one of the canvases at the crime scene, it is suspected to be the murder weapon," he explains. "What makes them so sure though, are the fingerprints."

Kristoph raises his eyebrow in amusement, a smirk growing on his face, "albeit, it is obvious the defendant's fingerprints would be present considering my point... There is nothing odd about having an artist's fingerprints on their canvas-"

"Objection!" The prosecution points his index finger directly toward Kristoph.

"I agree, it wouldn't be weird to have all of the residents' fingerprints but I was not finished," he glares.

"The main reason this is suspected to be the murder weapon is the position of the fingerprints."

"Oh?" The defense was amused. "Let me guess, they are completely positioned into those who hold it upwards?" He pushes his glasses back, waiting for a reply.

"Precisely, however..." Edgeworth pauses.

"The only fingerprints found on this specific wooden panel are the defendant's."

The gallery went silent. It was pin-drop.

Where did they even get hold of this?

The judge with wide eyes then maintains his composure and clears his throat, "Well that is certainly proven to be decisive!"

He shakes his head and asks [Y/N], "defendant, do you have an explanation for this?"

[Y/N] who has been listening to them this whole time, nods uncertainly, "I can, Your Honor."

"You may begin your testimony after stating your name and occupation."

[WITNESS TESTIMONY]

"My name is [F/N]. I'm a university student at Ivy's University studying fine arts."

"The reason why the panel only had my fingerprints is that all three of us have our own pieces to do and we rarely touch each other's canvases to avoid complications." [Y/N] explains.

"My canvases are kept in the middle of the room while Amy's was at the left and our roommate's at the right," they continue.

"My panel only had one set of fingerprints because I was the only one handling the canvas-"

"Objection!" The prosecution interrupts. Kristoph instantly catches wind of what Edgeworth is going to say but before he could interject, the man in cravat voices, "defendant..."

"How did you know it was only a single set of fingerprints?"

Another objection is raised from the opposite side, "objection, Your Honor. The prosecution is nitpicking small details to pressure my client."

"No," Edgeworth denies, "having several sets would be normal since it's regularly used but the defendant knows it's specifically used once and based on evidence the only time we can confirm this is used is for the murder."

The man from above agrees, "objection overruled. Mx. [L/N], please explain how there's only one set of fingerprints on the evidence."

----

[E/N]

Revised. The chapter gets longer as it goes, so thank you for giving this book a try!