[11] The Ends Justify The Means

[11:30 AM - Ace of Cafe]

Kristoph took [Y/N] to a cafe near his office, he says it's where he usually goes during his afternoon break. They ask if he doesn't have work today to which he answers, "today is a simple case, that's why I'm confident enough to accompany you. If it's another complicated case I might be too busy to the point of not returning home for the day."

They both enter the cafe, "that sounds bad. Thankfully it's short today, huh?" [Y/N] sympathizes. Being a lawyer sounds exhausting.

They sit at the nearby table. "Indeed," he says. "But this also gives me a chance to speak with you more concerning your situation."

[Y/N] is on high alert, "you mean the whole university and rent thing? Yeah, well I guess I can adapt to a new course since I know the gist of it and I'm a fast learner but I'm not sure about the renting part." They say, "I might need to get a part-time job for it."

Kristoph pushes his glasses, "no need for the renting, I can afford a year for you since us brothers used to occupy it. I've spoken to the landlord and she agrees. You only need to focus on your education." He begins, "Themis Legal Academy is a private university so the rate there is high but I know someone there who can help us. He's a professor there and he owes me something so I'm sure he'll be glad to lend a hand."

Professor Aristotle Means, one of the educators at said university. Known to be a kind person but rumor has it some of his students excel in the course via bribery. A good sum under the table will undoubtedly gain his approval. A dirty scheme but it works out. His motto is 'the ends justify the means'.

A waitress walks over to their table to take their order, Kristoph orders his usual which is earl grey while [Y/N] orders black coffee with butterscotch toast. The waitress jots down the order and thanks them as she walks away.

"I hope you realize how suspicious that sounds," [Y/N] narrows their eyes. This man is really blunt at times. It adds up with him only smiling at the statement. "Oh? He simply owes me as a friend, that's all. Nothing out of the ordinary."

"Let me rephrase what you said. You met a professor at a prestige private law university which is especially expensive, helped him somehow, and gained his trust. He owes you something and you're using it to help my student loan, the person who was suspected of murder only two days ago," [Y/N] rants. "I don't know about you but there has to be an ulterior motive to that, especially with my whole situation anyway."

Kristoph ponders for a moment, thinking about what they said. Nothing seems to be wrong with that, it does sound suspicious out of context. Although, he can't exactly give the details to them because it would be considered 'immoral'  to the system.

"Well, I'm simply doing what I can to help you. Just a sense but that would apply to you too, considering the conversation we had only yesterday," he begins. [Y/N] is fully aware of that, it's the main reason they agreed to join this shady man in the first place. The man continues, "let's just say we both owe each other to keep our lips sealed, shall we?"

[Y/N] can't deny that they truly owe Kristoph. It was a brutal deal but it got them off the hook. "Hiller was actually guilty anyway and you didn't have to forge the picture." At this point [Y/N] begins to wonder on how he does his job. Would this mean all of his guilty clients were declared innocent through some dirty play?

"If I didn't, you won't be here right now. Sweetheart, it was a bargain and we both agreed to it. I say it's a win."

The previous waitress walks over to them with a tray in hand carrying the meal and drinks. They stop discussing to avoid any potential witnesses. She hands them over and they thank her. Once she walks away, they both go silent thinking about the next topic.