[7] Atroquinine

[Y/N] is released from the detention center but isn't allowed back into the dormitory for the time being. They have no other place to go and being a mere university student, they also don't have the money to rent a separate apartment or even last a week at a motel.

'Ugh, I didn't want to do this but I guess I have no choice,' they think before ringing their phone.

"Is this Kristoph Gavin?"

-----

[2:00 PM - Gavin and Co. Law Offices]

"Welcome, Mx. [L/N]. How may I help you?" The man smiles, he's just the same as ever.

"... Please, just call me [Y/N], it feels weird. Also, I'm not sure how to bring this up or whatever but like, I kind of don't have anywhere to go right now," they then explain the whole situation to him.

Kristoph gets up from his seat and walks to the opposite side of the room to make tea for them, "I see. Well, I wouldn't say anywhere near Ivy University is affordable, to be frank." The sound of boiling water emanated from the electric kettle.

"I do know somewhere close to Themis Legal Academy," he explains as he drops tea sacks into the cups.

[Y/N] who was observing the room snaps into what Kristoph said, "woah woah, I'm a student at Ivy's, not Themis'."

After a clink of the spoon, the man with the twisted hair returns to his table offering them tea, "please, take a seat first. Let's discuss the matter, shall we?"

They reluctantly agree. Taking a cup into their hand, they raise the cup to their mouth but stop before taking a sip, "what about Themis Legal Academy...?" They ask and the cup is dropped back onto the silver platter.

Kristoph is amused, "[Y/N], this is just a thought but... Are you actually interested in law?" He asks as he rests his chin on his prompted knuckles.

The question catches them off guard but no visible reactions are made, "what makes you question that? If you've forgotten already, I'm an art student. There is nothing about art that even connects to law."

"Nothing, really. It prompted me from my observation, you know a lot of forensics and law on its own. Not to mention you knew who Manfred Von Karma was even though he had been erased from the media for years," he explains.

[Y/N] notices that he also doesn't take a sip from his tea. "Sure, I know one or two cases. So what? I'm here to ask if you know anywhere I can crash for the week, not change my entire university course."

Kristophs arms return to his thighs, fingers entangled between each other, "true, but your potential is outstanding and let's just say I find you rather... interesting, so to speak," he smiles.

'Was this guy this creepy before, the hell?'

"So, what? You want me to live near here for cheap and enroll for Themis Legal Academy that's gonna bust my bank account?" They ask straight to the point. This looks stupid to them, honestly. Plus, they didn't even like Kristoph that much, why should they listen to some guy who used fake evidence to get their roommate convicted?

The man chuckles, "oh, I wasn't finished. I know you're tight on finance and rents are expensive..."

He continues, "basically, I'm posing a deal for you."

This definitely intrigues [Y/N].

"Oh? And what would that be? Better be fair trade," they ask.

"If you enroll in Themis Legal Academy, I will pay off your loans but under one condition. You have to work under me once you graduate."

"You pay for everything? Deal- wait no-"

"I see it is sealed now, thank you for accepting the offer. I will notify someone to pack your luggage and get you to the most affordable decent apartment instantly," he smiles.

'Is he... for real?'

[Y/N] is completely dumbfounded. On one hand, they don't want to listen to whatever shady things this man says but on the other hand... free of debt.

Money buys happiness.

"Ugh okay fine, whatever. I get to call you Kristoph though, that's what you get. We'll be seeing way more often now, tch," [Y/N] storms out of his office, leaving him at his table.

"So you did realize the tea is laced, how observant." He menacingly smiles to himself.

-----

[4:00 PM - XX Bus Stop]

"Why didn't I think this through," [Y/N] says as they realize they still have nowhere to go at the moment. "Whatever I'll find a public library for now, they better have public chargers too," they turn on their phone, revealing the battery percentage at a whopping 9%.

Grunting as they keep away the phone, they wait for the bus to arrive. Thankfully they have their student card with them to get a free ride for the day.

Now that they're alone with their thoughts, [Y/N] wonders, 'why don't I have anyone left...?' A trivial question but a big one. They have no one left so they had to result to a stranger they don't even trust as much to get a place to stay which also causes them to completely change routes from a fine arts student to straight up a law student.

"Tch, that rich snob. Thinking he can solve everything with money... He definitely can though, but still," they whisper alone.

The bus arrives, and they quickly hop on to avoid miserably thinking about philosophical topics. 'I'm getting too old, I shouldn't be thinking about it. Obviously, I just don't have friends,' they reason out.

For the time being, they're headed to the town's library to stay and wait for whoever Kristoph tells to pick them up... And to charge their chronically ill phone.

---

[E/N]

Revised. Hehehe... (kicks feet in the air and twirls hair)