[19] Attorney's Badge

[12:00 PM - Gavins and Co. Law Offices]

Kristoph Gavin sits at his wide oak table in his office, papers scatter in the middle and a stack is neatly placed by his right. The man has a case to handle as of now, it's not exactly an easy one but still simple enough for him to finish in a single trial. He is 'the Coolest Defense in the West', after all.

He crosses his arms and leans back into his wooden chair, skimming through evidence. Lucky for him, his client is genuinely innocent and the prosecutor is Payne. He needs not to worry, only do what he does best. Legally.

His eyes dart from one paper to the other, piecing them together. Arguments flow in his mind and ways how to respond to the opposing side. His face not showing a single movement. Tight and serious.

Kristoph is still thinking about his visit to the Criminal Affairs Department. He genuinely is in disbelief that Edgeworth isn't going to return for an awfully long while. On a good note, this means he doesn't have direct access to anyone around here unlike him. However, it can also mean Edgeworth can contact anyone of his own will without making Kristoph aware of it whatsoever. A double-edged sword, it's starting to get on his nerves. He needs to keep it cool.

With a heave of a sigh, he rises from his seat and makes his way to his usual cupboard where he keeps the tea sachets. Filling the kettle underneath it with water to boil, he takes a sachet of earl grey and drops it in his teacup.

Kristoph, sporting his black waistcoat with a loose tie, walks over to the opposite side of the room where a full-body mirror is placed with a coat hanger next to it.

Sounds of boiling water fill the room as he runs his hands over his waistcoat to smoothen it out before taking his dark blue overcoat off the hanger. Sliding his arms in, the man fixes his pink ribbon tie and buttons his cotton overcoat.

Not to forget, he takes out his attorney's badge from the breast pocket and clips it onto his left lapel. A gold badge with a scale embossed on it shines in the reflection, his face neutral.

Kristoph walks back to his table to rearrange the files. His hands slide across it as the papers fall neatly into them with a few taps on the table to align them before putting the documents into his leather briefcase.

A hiss of the kettle signals it's done thus the man goes to pour it into his antique china teacup. He stirs the tea as the color gradually stains the water, creating a nice golden hue. The teaspoon clinks on the brim as it is set aside for the man to add sugar and continues stirring.

His face remains calm, not a shred of worry seen as if he has nothing to fret about. This is true, he has a solid case, if not an already innocent verdict in his hands. Even if he doesn't, he always has the means to turn it otherwise.

The blonde man raises his teacup to his lips and sips on it. It tastes the same as anytime he would make it.  The aroma, the texture, the color. Everything is the same. He prefers it as such anyway. Not quite a man of change. Fond to his routine as if habit.

Oddly enough, the earl grey reminds him of [Y/N]. To be completely honest, he doesn't even know one could deduct all those information with a simple glance. It impressed him, it piqued his interest. Perhaps it was the very moment he fell for them.

Fell? that's quite the strong word, but if the shoes fit.

Curious, the man opens one of the cabinets aforementioned and takes out a small wooden box with a pin code to it. He keys them in the lock snaps open, revealing the content to be none other than a few small vials of atroquinine.

Kristoph Gavin wants to see for himself if he could see everything they did on that day, whether they were merely bluffing or not.

A cork on one of the vials popped out and he drops the lethal substance into his own tea. A single drop, to be exact. The same amount he had used when [Y/N] visited him.

He studies the change in the tea for a few seconds.

...

...

Nothing changed, there's literally no change that can be seen with the naked eye. The man clicks on his glasses and sighs. Perhaps he doesn't actually know what he's truly looking for unlike them.

The thirst of curiosity is quenched, he picks up the teacup and removes the tea from the sink to make sure it's not mistakenly drunk. Well, that was a waste of precious poison. He fills the teacup with tap water and adds salt to remove any excess atroquinine that could be left on the interiors.

Kristoph lets the teacup sit in the sink as he picks up his briefcase to head over to the court. He estimates the trial to be over in about 5 hours. He'll instantly return home once it wraps up.

The man creaks his wooden door open and turns off all electronics. The door clicks shut and Kristoph goes along his way.

----

[3:00 PM - Borscht Bowl Club]

The tunes of a piano echo in the empty diner. It is currently break time and Phoenix has nothing better to do, as per usual. The man in the beanie looks lazily at the piano keys as his hands moved and his fingers dance on them, creating melodies.. somewhat.

A little girl wearing a pink cap and top hat walks over to him, "daddy, look at this new trick I learned!" The small girl excitedly taps on her father's thighs to get his attention. Phoenix looks down and smiles at her.

"Of course, Trucy? What magic trick did you learn today?" The man turns to face the little brunette as she happily takes out a deck of cards from her back. Phoenix loves watching his daughter do her little tricks even if she fails, it makes him happy to see her excited to do small things.

Trucy, his adopted daughter, was abandoned by her biological father a few years back. He couldn't just let a child roam around aimlessly looking for her guardian so he took her in as one of his own.

The girl slides out a card and keeps the rest of the deck back into the bag. She shows the card to her father and in a swoop of a hand, the card vanishes. "Tada!" She exclaims. The guy looking down slightly laughs at her as he can see the 'disappeared' card being held at the back of her palm.

"What's so funny? It's a cool trick!" She huffs. Phoenix pats her on the head and reassures her, "Don't worry, it is a neat trick. It's really hard to do sleight of hand. I just love how excited you are when you show me these things. You know I'm not good with magic."

The little girl beams with joy, "exactly! You should be proud I can do this at my age." Trucy nods. Her father laughs once again and affirms, "of course, I'll always be proud of you."

----

[A/N]

haha fun nick and trucy yipee

(curls up and bawls)

Update on our finals, experiments were easy. We're lowkey worried about oral but it's nothing we can't handle (*0*)

Thanks for reading!

[E/N]

Revised.