[3] Witness

[12:30 PM - District Court - Defendant Lobby No. 3]

The judge has just announced for a short break for the bailiffs to get the bucket from the studio. [Y/N] thinks it's a bit weird considering it's just a bucket and any evidence would have been wiped out from the bleach.

The defendant's lobby looks very average with minimal furniture only a couch and a table. Two guards were guarding the wide wooden door leading to the courtroom on the west side of the room. Other than them, there are only [Y/N] and their defense attorney.

'I guess they're just suspicious of me knowing how to erase blood completely so it wouldn't be traced by luminol testing,' they think. It's true, one normally doesn't know that luminol testing is a thing, yet [Y/N] took extra steps to make sure even the forensics team couldn't trace it.

Kristoph pushes his glasses back, emitting a shine. "That was a close one, really. Albeit I expected no less from the top prosecutor."

"Right... I heard he was tutored under Manfred Von Karma..." [Y/N] pondered.

"Indeed it was a shame to hear what had happened to him. The attorney handling the case at the time got him incarcerated," he says.

They read about this. They knew a lot of him, "Phoenix Wright was amazing considering it was his first year being an attorney."

The thought of it is bittersweet. It reminds [Y/N] about the dream they had of being involved in law.

The blonde man doesn't reply and changes the topic to their current situation, "Anyway... You seem to have a broad knowledge for an art student." [Y/N] is unsure whether to reveal their passion for law or to keep it under the radar for now, it's just a gut feeling but they feel like they shouldn't tell Kristoph about it even though he's representing them.

"Oh, not at all. I only know the basics of it. I used to be a top student back in high school and I liked chemistry the most," they lie through their teeth with a smile plastered.

The man simply nods. [Y/N] can't tell if he buys it or not. Kristoph Gavin is unreadable to them.

"I see, that is impressive," he smiles back. "Although it's better to not bring this up during your testimony, they might think you're doing this on purpose which I assume you do, to be frank."

Oh no, does he suspect them now?

"Y-you don't think I actually did it, do you...?" [Y/N] laughs it out.

"No, not at all. Even if you did..." he glares, "I am your defense attorney, anyway. It is my job to get my client declared innocent," he fades into another smile.

[Y/N] can't help but feel a bit threatened by his gesture. What does he mean by that? Does he defend guilty people? That's not how it works... Is this why he has such a perfect case and reputation?

Their mouth is slightly agape by his words but they quickly shake into reality.

"Of course, Mr. Gavin. Thank you for trusting me... I'll try my best."

"Concerning the prosecution, Mr. Edgeworth has something up his sleeve that we have yet to see..." he says. "I wonder... Is that his ace? Or is he simply doing this to buy time?"

[Y/N]'s head tilts as their eyebrows furrow, "what do you mean, Mr. Gavin? Does he have more evidence?"

Kristoph's arms are crossed, "I wouldn't say it's evidence but the way he is stalling time certainly feels like it. He assumed it would be a simple open-and-shut case because he did not expect me to represent you."

So Prosecutor Edgeworth is very sure that [Y/N] is the killer. This is going to be quite the case; not a hard one for an attorney of his caliber. He seems to agree considering he lets out a small laugh and smiles.

"Keep in mind, Prosecutor Edgeworth is not one to simply stop at declaring the defendant guilty. He seeks the truth and demands justice. We might look similar but I can assure you..." he states. "He and I cannot be any more different than each other."

Before [Y/N] can ask any further, one of the bailiffs at the door calls them in to continue the trial.

-----

[1:00 PM - District Court - Courtroom No. 3]

Murmurs can be heard throughout the gallery of spectators above, most are wondering where this will lead to. Some believe the defense will win and some think otherwise. No one wonders if the defendant themselves are actually guilty of the murder or not.

'These people are more concerned about who will win rather than the actual crime... Is this how powerful both the defense and prosecution are?'

The white noises are silenced by a hit of the gavel, "order, order! We will now continue the trial of [F/N]," the judge says. "Has the prosecution received the evidence from the bailiffs?"

Prosecutor Edgeworth straightens his dark red overcoat, "yes, Your Honor. The bucket has been retrieved at the crime scene. However..." he crosses his arms and taps his index finger.

"However...?" The judge blinks.

"They informed me that the bucket was not found where the defendant had said, rather it was in the storeroom located at the northeast side of the studio," he says.

[Y/N] interjects, "b-but, I was the only one who used that bucket as far as I know."

After submitting the bucket as official evidence, the prosecutor says, "yet the proof is right there, defendant. Are you saying someone moved it? That would simply be impossible."

An objection is raised by the defense.

"Your Honor, the defendant could have simply misplaced the bucket and forgot where it was. The prosecution is asking trivial questions to pressure my client again," he calmly smiles. His body language is really strange to [Y/N].

Another objection is fired back by the prosecution, "it would be trivial but the defendant is very certain of this, is this true?" He asks them.

For once, they can confidently confirm this fact, "yes, I'm very positive about this. That red bucket is never moved anywhere besides its usual place and the sink outside the studio to fill with water because this bucket is used to wash my brushes when I paint."

Prosecutor Edgeworth goes silent thinking about it, "so you're stating that no one else ever used this yet it was found in a place where you didn't put it? Is this correct?" He asks which [Y/N] confirms.

"Objection!" An index finger pointed to the prosecution.

"I see you're forgetting someone, Mr. Edgeworth," Kristoph states.

The prosecution simply smiles at his comment, "oh? And who would that be?"

The man in glasses refers to a piece of paper, "no one else? Please remember what the defendant said in their first testimony," he begins.

"In the studio contains 3 separate workspaces in which one the north side is used by my client, the west side by the victim, and lastly..."

"Ah yes, the east side by their other roommate," Edgeworth continues.

"Precisely, therefore it is possible that this 'roommate' is the one who moved the bucket from between the table and freezer into the storage room beside it."

The judge then speaks, "oh! I remember hearing about a roommate. How is this person not a witness in the case?"

Edgeworth shifts slightly at the question, "well, Your Honor..." He trails. "We do not know their whereabouts."

"W-what!? This person is a crucial witness to the case!" The judge exclaims.

The man with the gavel clears his throat, "ahem, well... We will postpone today's trial in search of the witness! Court is adjourned." A loud clank echoes throughout the courtroom as he lands his wooden gavel.

'Wow, that was quick...' [Y/N] thinks, 'wait, speaking of which, where even is he?'

-----

[E/N]

Revised.