[17] Significantly Neutral

[A/N]

I present to you, this shitty sketch of blushing Kristoph I did. (Banner)

---

[10.30 AM - Ace of Cafe]

Back at their usual cafe, [Y/N] and Kristoph sit at the end corner near the clear wall glass of the coffee shop. [Y/N] ordered hot chocolate alongside a cream puff and as usual, Kristoph ordered his earl grey.

[Y/N] sitting beside the glass, smiles at Kristoph, "see? I knew you'd drink earl grey. You always drank tea whenever I'm with you."

The man slightly laughs, "haha, of course. I'm quite fond of tea, really. I find earl grey to be my favorite ever since I was a child."

"Woah, that's really young. I rarely consume tea," they ponder. Kristoph studies their attitude, and how they would always look away when lying.

Subconsciously knowing they're being attended to, [Y/N] instantly asks him, locking eyes and without a falter of a smile, "so why did you not drink the tea you yourself made when we met in your office?"

If this were to be someone else, Kristoph would genuinely be caught off guard and attempt to lie his way out of the topic but considering it's [Y/N] who most likely already know the answer, he replies, "my, feeling hostile, aren't we?"

He pushes his glasses back, "albeit I'm sure we both know you were aware it was spiked with fatal poison."

The confirmation is the only thing [Y/N] wants to hear so they happily sip on their hot chocolate, "I noticed the tea smelled like earl grey but something was off, you know."

They take a bite into the frosty pastry, "I also noticed you didn't drink yours too when it's poured from the same teapot. So logically, knowing you, you would definitely pull off something shady."

Kristoph listens to their deduction, frankly, it got him genuinely nervous but he knows he cannot show it under any circumstance, 'you found out all of that in the span of one look at a teacup?'

[Y/N] continues, "I was thinking of something that could serve as poison or at least a harmful solution in small doses considering nothing is noticeable in the tea. The only dangerous substance I know to be of easy access to a closed community would be..."

"atroquinine," they both say in unison. A flash of satisfaction wash over [Y/N]'s face as they successfully deduced the specific type of poison that almost killed them. Kristoph, on the other hand, looks almost antsy. It's definitely not as obvious but they can see he looks off.

"You're not mad, are you? I'm not going to report you or anything, we're purely in on this together," they sip on their drink. The former voices out his concern, "you have extraordinary deducting ability, but I'm honestly quite hostile to know you discovered an illegal substance in my possessions."

They instantly dismiss it, "no, no. You don't have to worry about anything. For all I know, it might even come in handy in the future to.. eliminate evidence or specifically, witnesses."

Silence grows among them, none denies the possibility. Lips sealed to pretend this never happened.

"Enough of the dark stuff," [Y/N] says, "look on the bright side. I'm going to finally pursue law and we're together so we don't have to worry about being enemies of each other." they take a sip, "the only thing we need to worry is running away from Mr. Edgeworth before he finds out the whole truth, you know?"

Chances are he's already on the move to inspect things further after getting permission from the higher-ups. 

Kristoph finishes his tea, "haa.. You're correct. Apologies for doubting you, I'm too wary for my own good. We can settle our business with the prosecution once they catch up to us. Please, focus on your studies."

The atmosphere lits up, they're now in a comfortable setting wrapped in the warmth of the cafe with the sound of the customers' murmurs from afar filling the white noise surrounding them. Reflection of each other can be seen as it fills their field of view.

It feels nice to Kristoph. He has long forgotten the warm embrace ever since he and his brother have gotten too busy to properly spend time with each other. Both are engrossed in their own affairs as they bid goodnight to one another every night before bed and that seems to be it.

But not anymore, [Y/N] is here. The man feels content in their presence, warm and fuzzy. They are indeed special to him. To think he nearly murdered this person only a few weeks ago.

On the other side, [Y/N] feels neutral toward the man. They don't exactly despise him anymore but he's nothing too special as well. A subordinate? No, more than that. More than a friend, less than anything beyond. A faint line even though they don't know where to draw so they've decided to keep it neutral.

Yes, they feel significantly neutral toward Kristoph Gavin. To think they hated this man for bringing injustice as a lawyer just several weeks ago.

Once [Y/N] finishes their pastries and drink, they both head out the door leaving a chime from the bell. Kristoph speaks up, "I'm certain you will ace your classes, [Y/N]. I believe in you."

Warmth creeps onto their face, not used to having encouragement. "Thanks, I'll try my best."

They make their way into the car and the man drives them back to [Y/N]'s apartment, dropping them off. He doesn't have much time to spare since he has a trial in the evening so he has to see his client prior to that. [Y/N] bids farewell to him and thanks him for accompanying them to the university to which he smiles in response.

[12.00 PM - [Y/N]'s residence]

Unlocking the door, they enter the apartment and plop onto the couch. "Maybe this isn't as bad after all..." They talk to themselves.

Pulling out their phone, they skim through all of their socials to see any updates. Of course, they have none considering how inactive they are recently due to allegations of literally being a murderer. They also realize it's wise to remove the battery from their current phone and only use a throwaway for contacts since they could be tracked by the authorities.

'Ugh, living on the run is so not fun.'

Obliging their own rule, they ring up one of the Gavins to inform them about their concern and he says he can buy a new phone to use with a fresh number so they won't be needing to erase everything.

'Isn't that just identity theft if I pretend to be someone else...' They facepalm but still accept nonetheless.

Maybe insanity drove them into cooperating but their objective for today has been achieved anyway besides finding out the courses.

It's to find out Kristoph Gavin has access to Atroquinine in his office.

----

[E/N]

Revised.