Chapter 36 - The Gates of Hell

Andrea POV

After discussing the new Mission parameters with Nik I got my squad and took off in the Argo III.

For the entire journey we travelled in silence, no one knowing what to say about the mission we were about to face. We soared through the sky, undisturbed by any monster or abomination.

I was stood in the Captains quarters when a hologram of my brother appeared before me, "You alright?" he asked immediately, noticing my state,

I considered lying, telling him everything was fine. But I knew he'd see right through me and take this mission over, exposing our secret weapon.

"No" I admitted to him, "We've trained everyday for this Nik, but this is the real thing. Not the simulations"

He nodded slowly, his face contorted in worry, "I know little sister, and it's more than likely that you'll lose people. But if we do lose people, we make that sacrifice worth it"

"You know what your doing" I chuckled humourlessly,

His holographic head nodded, "I've lost so many people, comrades, brothers to war Andy"

"I'm sorry"

"So am I"

-- Line Break --

We arrived at Kansas. Hovering over the Devil's gate. The gate itself was sat deep in a forest. Woods on three sides and a cliff on the back where the gate was. We rappelled down and surrounded the gate, demigods securing the surroundings for the attack to come.

"Okay listen in" I announced, "You can continue your preparations just lend me you ears.

Today is the start of everything. We are the spark that will ignite this war. The enemy is coming for that gate, if they open it before Hades can shut down the gates then Chaos get's an entire army of Demons on his sides. So we can't fail. We protect this gate no matter what. For Olympus!" I cheered,

The platoon echoed my cheer, the noise reaching all around.

Barricades were set up, trenches were dug. MGs and snipers nests were established and a few specifically trained demigods lay down land mines.

Then we just sat there.

Waiting.

We stayed there until nightfall,

That's when they launched the attack.

The first thing we heard was a twig snap in the treeline.

Safeties flipped off on all the weapons wielded by demigods and fingers lay on triggers. I drew my bow, an arrow already knocked. From in the tree line several red dots appeared in pairs, they were eyes. Eyes of the abominations.

When the first one broke threw the treeline, it was my arrow that put it down. A single shot through it's right eye killed it stone dead.

But that triggered it.

The first death lead to a pack of Abominations breaking out, charging our barricade. Bullets started flying from the gun, mowing down Abominations that ran at us. The land mines took out several of the creatures at once.

We held that position, until the numbers of the enemy side dwindled. Caesar, Dean and about 5 demigods and myself moved out, hunting the enemy while Sam and Frank Zhang headed the defence.

Silently moving through the forest, weapons drawn, anytime we came across an Abomination we killed it.

After determining that there were negligible forces left we returned to the gate defence and set back up, "Okay that was wave 1" I addressed everyone, "But you can be damn sure there's more where that came from"

As if on cue, a roar louder than your average abomination came from the forest, followed by several identical roars, "Weapons up" I ordered,

An all round defence was set up with our weapons pointed outwards.

This time when the abomination exited the treeline we gasped.

This was a new species of Abomination. The generic form of an abomination was a humanoid figure with claws and an eagles head as well as a couple of specific features, so wings or snake tails. All sorts.

But these, these were somehow even more horrifying. Instead of Eagle heads, these new abominations now had wolf heads. Sharper fangs, better senses. They also had sharper and longer talons. On their forearms were razor sharp fins that looked like they can cut straight through our armour. They had four eyes, all glowing dark red. Finally they had black horns jutting out from the base of their nose to the top of their forehead. Venom dripped from their fangs, an ugly burgundy colour that was a less luminescent version of their eyes.

"Hello ugly" Dean sighed,

I let loose an arrow, just like I had the first time. It hit home, buried itself in the creatures right eye. Unlike last time though, the creature simply ripped it out.

"Fuck" I cursed, "Concentrate fire on that big bastard" I ordered.

At least half our guns were trained onto the large git, and bullets started flying. But the creature just shrugged it off like it was nothing, tanking bullets and land mines left right and centre, "Fuck" I yelled as it busted through the barricade and instantly killed three of our comrades. When it broke through, normal Abominations started emerging through the forest, "Take down the normal enemy, the big gits mine" I growled, eyes flashing gold.

The creature came at me, swinging it's large claws at my throat. It was fast. Very fast. I only just managed to block it with my knives, but the blow sent waves of pain through my arm. Forcing the blades from my hands. I flipped away and drew my stygian Iron gladius. Speeding myself up I slashed at the beast's legs, but to no avail. It just shrugged it off.

It backhanded me, throwing me into the entrance of the gate.

As I looked up everything seemed to slow down. Sam, Dean, Caesar and Frank were backed into a corner, fighting every last Abomination. The rest of the platoon had already been killed, slaughtered by the Abominations and the Beasts. With my last ounce of strength I reached out to them and muttered a spell. A portal opened beneath their feet and they fell into it, the doorway closing after them.

The Abominations turned to me and growled, realising I'd saved my friends. With one last scream of power I sent a wave of power to surround the Devil's Gate. Shielding it for as long as I was alive.

Which wasn't going to be much longer.

The Beast made it's way over to me and picked me up by the throat, It opened it's mouth and breathed on me. It's breath absolutely reeked

"Hades" I gasped, "You need a breath mint mate"

With the last bit of strength I had, I pulled a grenade from my belt and shoved it into it's mouth, screaming as it's fangs buried into my arm,

"Bite me bitch" I growled,

Then the grenade went off and threw me into the wall. I heard a sickening crack from somewhere in my body and felt an immense pain in my chest.

The pain grew stronger and stronger until the edges of my vision darkened and everything faded.

And the life faded from my body.