Chapter 49 - I am the Darkness

"Was that meant to help?" I complained after reading the prophecy, "I still don't know how to become the Angel of Time" 

The Stranger scoffed, gesturing to the throne, "Amara told you to seek out her old throne and that all the truths would be revealed to you" 

"Yet all I've heard is one more stupid prophecy that I can't see how it will help!" I yelled, 

"Tell me about the thrones of your siblings" He said, 

"They're the source of the Olympian's powers. They have a direct link to the Gods" I realised, "It's the throne" 

Without waiting for his answer I approached the throne and quickly sat on it. I closed my eyes expecting it to hurt or feel like something. Only nothing happened. 

Hesitantly, I opened one of my eyes. Looking around to see if anything had happened. But instead I just saw The Stranger stood there, "Did you really think that's all it would take?" He laughed, "This is the throne of a creator not of an Olympian" 

"Yeah I suppose I should have seen that one coming" I groaned, reclining on the throne, "So what next?" 

"That I can't tell you" He admitted, "But I can give you one last hint" 

He waved his hand and the room was filled with light. Revealing more inscriptions and images. The other creators. Amara, God, Chaos, Order, Atum and Ymir. 

I turned back to face the Stranger only to see he had disappeared. 

Okay. Time for me to be smart. 

Why would Amara have the other creators inscribed in her throne room? Along with the prophecy of the Angel of Time. Granted it could just be that she loved them, after all they were family once upon a time. But that can't be all. Not with the prophecy of the Angel of Time as well, there has to be a deeper meaning. 

Once more I reached out with my senses, searching for shadows under Amara's control. Only to find there weren't any. I was still in control of the darkness. Even the throne. 

"This isn't right" I whispered, even though there was no one to hear me. 

I summoned Excalibur, the glow of the blade lighting up the room more. The Chamber had 7 walls. The Prophecy of the Angel of Time was inscribed on the wall behind the throne, and the 6 other walls had the creators on them. Finally I looked up to the ceiling  and gasped. The symbol of the Legion was inscribed on it. 

"This was always meant to happen" I thought aloud, "I was always meant to end up here, bearing the most powerful weapon in our universe and harboring the darkest power" 

I turned to the throne, slowly twirling Excalibur through the air. The throne didn't make sense. Amara didn't rule, she was imprisoned before everything was created. Chuck and the Archangels locked her away before even Primus had been born. So what was this place? Why was there a throne room for Amara when Amara was never here? Why were the creators inscribed on it as well as the Angel of Time? 

"She wouldn't have a throne. No way. So why is there a throne. Unless..."

Finally I looked down at the blade in my hand, brushing my thumb over the hilt. 

"Fuck it" I sighed before tightly gripping the blade and bringing it down with enough force to split open a continent. Right down onto the throne. 

Only for the blade to shatter against the throne. 

I stood there. Staring at the now broken blade that had been with me for billions of years. Now shattered in my hands. 

I fell to my knees. Cradling the broken hilt in my hands. Everything was falling apart. 

I didn't know what I was doing. I haven't for the last 14 Billion years. Everything I'd done had been in the interest of winning this war, of coming out the other side alive. But instead I was knelt here. A broken sword in my hands, no clue how I was to fix this. Fix everything. I was useless. But I still had people to protect. The people of the universe. my family. My wife. My kids. Megan and Arthur. I had to be successful. For them. To build them a world where they would be happy, where they would never know pain or suffering. Only joy. 

For them. I was doing this for them.

Then, as I realized this, a single shadow started crawling from underneath the throne and towards me. Towards the broken blade. Glaring at the throne, I summoned my power. Darkness from every realm, every corner of the universe responded to my call and came to my hands. Gathering around the hilt and reaching out to the other pieces of the blade. They came together, knitting the blade together until it resembled a sword once more. 

Carefully gripping the blade tightly again, I stood tall. Darkness running through me and through the blade. As my eyes turned dark, my wings unfurled behind me. I let loose my power, collecting it in the sword before me. 

Magic. 

Water.

Death.

Lightning.

Darkness. 

Time. 

I pulled it all into the blade. Dark shadow shifted into a beautiful golden light that spread throughout the room. Bringing light to the darkest spot in all of existence. 

"No more" I yelled as I brought the blade down onto the Throne once more. Only this time, it was the throne that chipped away, "Nobody Else!" I yelled on the next strike. Golden veins spread from the point of impact around the throne, "This war will end!" with every word I struck the throne until on the last strike, I cleaved straight through the throne. 

Purple light beamed out. Hitting the golden light I was emanating. The two lights battled, pushing against each other. I reached Excalibur towards the throne and a beam of golden light shot into the throne, 

"14 Billion years he had me trapped in the darkness. But I used it. Molded it" The purple light wrapped around my blade. But it shifted, changing it into golden light, "Now I am the Darkness!" 

I thrust the blade into the throne and instead of pouring the power in, I drew the power out. Bringing it into me. But this time it wasn't just power. It was knowledge, knowledge of everything I could possibly need to know about the creators and the multiverse. Secrets that should never be spoken, hidden knowledge that should remain that way. 

But one thing I did find. Something I had been searching for for an eternity.

I knew how to become the Angel of Time.