29

She was motionless, halfway there, when Wooyoung looked up slightly and collided with her pupils. It was only seconds, but it seemed like an eternity for Y/N. With the slowness of his step, Jung made a sign with his eyes when he saw that the girl had froze, indicating that she must continue walking and continue on her way as if her final destination was not that luxurious house, detaching her from whatever it was that was happening.

Although the movement of his eyes would have been almost imperceptible, Y/N understood the message and quickened her pace with her tense body, trying to hide the worrying need to find out what was going on.

With a calm look, she walked to the last house on the street and took out her cell phone, pretending to answer a call while she leaned against the tree in the front yard. Her heart was beating restlessly and her hands were shaking, but she had to fight to stay inside the makeshift role as a visitor who was waiting to be received, glancing at the police scene that was taking place in the distance.

She watched as Wooyoung got into the car and the officers made sure the door could not be opened, then got into the front seats and started driving.

As soon as the patrol began to move away, Y/N directed her attention to the house, where the other two officers were putting up police tape to prevent entry. The place had been restricted and under observation.

The girl swallowed heavily and turned around again as the vehicle carrying Wooyoung passed by her. Without hesitation, she focused her gaze on it and placed her full attention on any specified detail in the rear of the car. When she was finally able to identify the police station number, she nodded to herself and redirected her course towards her apartment.

Wooyoung had instructed her to keep walking as if it had nothing to do with her in order to keep her as detached from the scene as possible, however, she had not the slightest intention of simply walking away from it and waiting for him. She could not. Her heart was pounding and, although she hid it to keep a low profile, she could not stop thinking about what she had just seen. How was it possible that Jung was under police control? What had happened? How?

With her head in a complex mess of thoughts and theories, she arrived at her apartment and immediately went to the bathroom to wash her face with cold water. If this was a bad dream, she wanted to wake up. But it was not her imagination.

Her breathing became heavy and her hands trembled again from helplessness and uncertainty. She had too many questions going around inside of her and the scene of Jung Wooyoung being escorted by the police kept repeating on an endless loop.

It took her a few minutes to calm down and put aside the emotional blow that what had happened had caused her. Although she refused to take it in, she decided to stop wasting time and changed her clothes, then sat on the bed with her computer. In a hurry, she looked up the address of the police station where Wooyoung was and searched for the fastest way to it.

And, when she got what she needed, she just had to wait.

Y/N kept as calm as she could and, after an hour and a half, she headed to the place.

Upon arrival, the first thing she saw was the boy sitting at the back of the room; he was in a small personal cell and had his wrists handcuffed. In front of him, a couple of meters away, was the counter behind which a policeman was completing his paperwork.

The girl swallowed heavily and cautiously entered. As soon as she stepped into the room Wooyoung's eyes went to her body. The eye contact of both happened immediately, as if they wanted to tell each other what was necessary with just a look.

"Good afternoon," she said when she was facing the man at the counter. "I'm here to talk to Jung Wooyoung."

The policeman fixed his eyes on her and raised an eyebrow.

"Are you his lawyer?"

Y/N frowned slightly at him.

"No."

So, she received an identification card along with a pencil.

"Mr. Jung is being held here while his house is searched per protocol," he informed her seriously. "He is charged with suspected merchandise of illicit substances."

The girl completed the file with her information while she listened to the policeman speak and, once ready, she looked up at him.

"That's just preventively, right?" She asked. "So that means he's innocent until proven guilty, isn't it?" Y/N could see how Wooyoung smiled from the background despite not seeing him. She made eye contact with the man and kept her expression serious. "Can I talk to him now?"

The policeman narrowed his eyes, already knowing that speech by heart. It wasn't the first time something like this had happened inside the place and, although he had orders to prevent it from happening, he did not really care.

"Five minutes."

Listening to him, Y/N went to the cell without wasting a second and planted herself in front of the bars. Wooyoung got up when he saw her and smiled slightly, taking care not to be too noticeable; neither could let their guard down.

"What happened?" It was the first thing that came out of her lips, causing the boy's expression to change to one of irritation.

"That crazy gave me away," he murmured.

It did not take long for Y/N to connect the pieces. The girl who had gone to Wooyoung's house looking for Yeosang was definitely a big problem now. She had accused Wooyoung and sent the police to look for him; something no sane person would attempt to do.

"Hey, Hwang." Jung spoke again, noticing the concern on the girl's silent face. "Look at me." Y/N looked up. "Don't worry, I'm clean," he said quietly. "They won't find anything they're looking for in the house, no matter how hard they try. I'll be out soon, they won't find evidence to keep me here any longer."

The girl relaxed her features upon hearing his words and connecting them with the pupils that were staring at her so intently. Those eyes had never lied to her.

"But I need a favor."

And, before Y/N could ask the slightest thing, Wooyoung's eyes fell attentively on the body of the policeman a few meters from them. Then, still looking at him over her shoulder, he began to indicate a series of numbers with his fingers in complete silence. Y/N concentrated on each of them and repeated them over and over in her mind, memorizing them.

"Contact Yunho," he muttered when he finished, looking back at her. "I'm clean, but if some idiot comes after me, there will be no way to hide it."

"Your time is up, Miss Hwang."