Stay?|C.D. x I.S.

A/n: ngl this isn't a request. This was me wanting Cater and Idia angst

Idia hugged his pillow. Why would he do that? Why would he ever say that? How could he?
——
"What do I think about Idia? You know I don't give a shit about him? So stop bringing the guy up."

"You don't like him then?"

"I wouldn't get near him if he was the last man alive." He laughed with the blonde in front of him.

Idia listened while they verbally dragged him through the dirt.
——
All those hours spent together, confessions in the corridor and stealing kisses between classes when no one could see. For nothing. Idia had suggested it. No one would bother him if they didn't know he was dating Cater.

Was that really all it was for?

Or did Cater have a reason too?
——
"Idia! I'm here." Cater stepped into Idia's dorm room. "My bad, babe. I was so busy wi-" A pillow smacked him in the face. "Ow!"

"What's your problem? You asshole? Do you not give a shit about me?" He was stammering over his words since he was so upset.

"What are you talking about?" Cater looked confused.

"Cater, you're terrible. The fact that you could talk about me like that..." Idia hugged a different pillow.

"Dee.." Cater walked over, setting his hand on Idia's shoulder, only for his hair to flare up and get hot. "Don't fucking touch me." He glared at Cater.

"Bab-"

"Stop with the pet names... I saw you with Vil today. Did you really have to bad mouth me in front of him? Or do you really think that? I know you've always liked him more but to talk shit about me? Do you want to impress him that bad?"

"You know I love you. You're the one who suggested we hide our relationship in the first place..."

"Yeah, but not like this! If you had an issue with me you should've just said that!"

"You would've reacted negatively."

"I would not!"

"Then... then of course I've got an issue with you Idia. I can't even walk next to you in public! People don't even think we're friends. So I'm sorry I was a little pissed and got carried away with my insults... but you're not any better."

"It's not like I'm ashamed of you or anything. You know that."

"Do I? Do I know that? You're always so cold to me around others."

Cater knew this wasn't what the conversation was about, but everything spilled out. He didn't mean to be manipulative, or undermine Idia's feelings but didn't his feelings matter too?

"I can't do the popularity. If people knew I was dating you I'd be wrecked. I can't even talk to the other guys in my class... I could never handle your life."

"What's that mean?"

"The social media, the people, the talking..." He put his arms around himself, biting down on his thumb. "It's all terrifying, and I wish I could try to face it for you..." He looked away. "But I don't see that happening anytime soon."

"Yeah... I knew how you were when you asked me out.. but I didn't expect it to be so hard..."

"I'm sorry. I understand if you can't do this anymore..."

Cater nodded. "I really do love you. I don't know why I said those things to Vil... he was prying, and I was trying to get him off of my back... but I was so angry with you because of the other day that I just went off.."

"The other day?"

"When you pretended to not know me... in front of the guys in my dorm..."
——
"Hey Idia! See you around okay?" Cater was trying to be casual.

"Who?" Idia looked so genuine in his confusion that it made Cater nervous.

"Damn, rejected." Ace elbowed Cater.

"That's cold. Doesn't even remember your name." Riddle had his arms crossed, shaking his head.

All Idia did was beeline down the hallway. He didn't even text him after.
——
"Oh... That... that makes sense then." He nodded. "It was just the only thing I could do... there were too many of them and I got so overwhelmed I didn't know what to do with myself."

Cater sighed, sitting down close to Idia. "I think you're right. This might not work." He went quiet after. Letting the silence and the ambience of Idia's fan fill the room.

"Oh." Idia looked at him. The word was quiet. A hint of acceptance beneath the surprise.

"Yeah. I'm sorry.." He held his hand out. Idia took it.

"Is there anything I can do to make you stay..."

"Can you help me feel appreciated?"

"I-"

"By being more open about our relationship?" Cater took his hair down and messed with the blue hairtie he'd replaced his red one with a while back.

"No... I can't." Idia squeezed Cater's free hand.

Cater felt his vision blur up, eyes flicking up to Idia's. "Then there isn't anything you can do to make me stay."

"Then just stay with me tonight..." Idia would overcome his fears for Cater. If his body would let him.

"Okay... I'll stay with you tonight." Cater moved into Idia's lap, hugging his waist and laying his head on his chest. "Is this alright?"

Idia was frozen, until he heard small sniffles and Cater's shoulders shook. He engulfed him in his arms, tucking him close to the hoodie he was wearing.

"Why are you crying? This is your decision. You don't have to feel bad." Idia was trying his hardest to be comforting.

"It is. I know that. I just wish we could work things out... I wish we weren't so different." Cater sobbed into Idia's clothing, holding onto the fabric.

Idia felt his heart shattering. He loved the boy in his arms more than anything. He wanted to give him the world, but he wasn't strong enough. All he could do was cry too. "I'm so sorry, Cater."

"I'm sorry too." Cater slid the blue hair-tie onto Idia's wrist. "If anything ever changes, you come find me."

"I love you.." Idia hugged Cater's neck, breathing in his cologne for one of the last times he'd be able to.

What hurt the most was when Idia didn't even get a glance from Cater the next day.

A/n: Not funny, didn't laugh. Cried